• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game programming books?

This topic is 5851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m planing on buying game gems 1 and 2 but fist I would like some opinions about them. Are they suitable for intermediate game programmers? I haven''t tried out 3d much. Are they two different books or is nr 2 second edition? Are there any better books maybe?

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by tordyvel
Are they suitable for intermediate game programmers?

Depends on what you mean by "intermediate game programmers", but I''d say yes, they are.
quote:
I haven''t tried out 3d much.

They''re not just about graphics, but general programming, math, AI, etc.
quote:
Are they two different books or is nr 2 second edition?

2 different books.
quote:
Are there any better books maybe?

Depends on what you''re looking for. If you''d like a collection of well-explained tips for building games, I can recommend none better.

Those books offer a more complete picture of game development techniques but if you are fairly new to games and OpenGL I thoroughly recommend "OpenGL game programming" by Kevin Hawkins and Dave Astle which walks you through creating a simple 3D game step by step. I believe there is also a "DirectX game programming" in the series. As always, the best thing to do when shopping around for books is take the time to physically go to a really big book shop and flick through the titles that interest you - it should be apparent which ones are pitched at your level and discussing subjects of interest to yourself. It was in this way I discovered the "C++ in depth" series which has been the most useful collection of books I ever bought. Never, before I picked up "Essential C++" by Stanley Lippman, had I picked up a C++ book just to flick through it and ended up reading it for hours. I would have to say that those books set the standard for programming texts and I thoroughly recommend those as well if you are in the market for C++ books.

-

Geocyte Has Committed Suicide.

They are definitely worth getting.

They have a wealth of articles and even though some of them require you to do more research, having all of these in two books is certainly a plus.

I''ve got it even though I don''t know 3D programming.

• Advertisement