• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Convict@Large

Online Game player numbers

This topic is 5878 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know a website where I could find the player numbers for online games? I have heard people mention that Halflife has X players and Quake3 has Y and am wondering where they got their numbers from... Cheers, Convict@Large "I code therefore I am" Anon

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I think some server-browser programs (such as gamespy) can give you some numbers... I think it''s difficult to get an idea of exactly how many are playing (you could try going by units sold) but gamespy can (i think) at least give you a number of players actually on servers at any given time (ie. when you retrieve a server list). Hope that helps.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The amount of players on a server depends on the transfer made by the clients. I don''t know if quake or halflife had any any hardcoded player limit, but it''s common sense that you can''t host a 64 player server on a modem (that for a game that required a low ping connection and about 3.5k/s per client) . Quake2 had 64 player maps (each of the episodes) for example, but I don''t know who actually played on them .

Found this site on gamespy.com ok:

http://www.gamespy.com/stats/

It gives the top ten games currently running and a breakdown (by mod) of whats being played.

Cheers,

Convict@Large

"I code therefore I am" Anon

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!