Online Game player numbers

Started by
2 comments, last by Convict@Large 22 years ago
Does anyone know a website where I could find the player numbers for online games? I have heard people mention that Halflife has X players and Quake3 has Y and am wondering where they got their numbers from... Cheers, Convict@Large "I code therefore I am" Anon
DanielB - Slayer of Bugs
Advertisement
I think some server-browser programs (such as gamespy) can give you some numbers... I think it''s difficult to get an idea of exactly how many are playing (you could try going by units sold) but gamespy can (i think) at least give you a number of players actually on servers at any given time (ie. when you retrieve a server list). Hope that helps.
The amount of players on a server depends on the transfer made by the clients. I don''t know if quake or halflife had any any hardcoded player limit, but it''s common sense that you can''t host a 64 player server on a modem (that for a game that required a low ping connection and about 3.5k/s per client) . Quake2 had 64 player maps (each of the episodes) for example, but I don''t know who actually played on them .
Found this site on gamespy.com ok:

http://www.gamespy.com/stats/

It gives the top ten games currently running and a breakdown (by mod) of whats being played.

Cheers,

Convict@Large

"I code therefore I am" Anon
DanielB - Slayer of Bugs

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement