How much AI can you get

Started by
1 comment, last by gaussuk 21 years, 12 months ago
I am a beginner to game programming with a special interest in AI. Is there any difference in the "amount" of AI you can have in 2D games compared with 3D games and real-time compared with turn based?
Advertisement
Not really, depending on the game. I mean, if you write a 3d flight simulator, it''s a bit more because you''re dealing with AI in all 3 directions instead of 2, but the concepts are still the same (low fuel, go refuel, enemy near you, follow/shoot, etc). The concepts are similar, but the implementation is different. For example, path finding. In 2d, it''s simply (not really simple, but relatively simple) find the easiest path from x,y -> x,y. In 3d, it''s find the easiest path from x,y,z to x,y,z (in 3d, you have to take things like stairs, ladders, etc), so there''s that added complexity, although both are similar in concept. That is AI that has to do with finding/moving, but the other AI (like them remembering things, or adapting to the environement, what kind of moves they should make) is almost identical. When you''re talking about turn based, and real-time, it depends on the game.. as most games that are turn-based, don''t work to well in real-time, and vice-versa.. so if the game is different (and played different), more than likely you''ll need different AI (although, similar, as to figuring out what move to do next, you need that in both real-time and turn-based, but in real-time, you need to make sure it''s FAST, while in turn-based, it can be a bit slower, which means, more complex).

Billy - BillyB@mrsnj.com
I think a more concise answer would be:

The more processor time that is required for the REST of the game, the less you may be able to use for AI. 3D naturally uses more than 2D. Real-time naturally needs more on a continual basis than turn-based does. That''s the basics...

Dave Mark
President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement