Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Program too big to fit in memory error.

This topic is 5752 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I keep getting this error when I try compiling my program. I know for a fact that it can''t be too big to fit into memory because I''ve got about 100 megs free and it''s a small console program. Does anyone know what may be going wrong, I''m assuming that MSVC++ is at fault. I am using XP, so that may be the issue.

It''s unlikely that MSVC is at fault.

Most likely you''ve changed an option to some strange value, for example you''ve set the stack size to 1GB or something... or you''ve got a data section which is really huge or something like that. Give us a bit more information, like your compiler settings (cut ''n paste the command-line for both the compiler and the linker, you can get it from the Project->Setting menu).

I''ve seen image files which are 500MB and more and there''s no problem loading them (and that''s with no resources attached!), the link stage took about 4 hours though...

codeka.com - Just click it.

I am using MSVC++ 6.0 with sp5 installed. It won''t even compile the simplest of programs ie... hello world. I get this error on build, execute, and debug. It won''t create the actual executable. It will, however, compile the cpp file, but that is all it will do.

Do you have more than 512 megs of ram and are running widnwos98se or earlier?

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Daishi
I am using MSVC++ 6.0 with sp5 installed. It won''t even compile the simplest of programs ie... hello world. I get this error on build, execute, and debug. It won''t create the actual executable. It will, however, compile the cpp file, but that is all it will do.

OK... now what settings have you changed? You must''ve set something incorrectly.

If you don''t think so, reinstall MSVC.