umm, some quesitons

Started by
6 comments, last by CN 21 years, 12 months ago
I am thinking about creating my own game, somewhat like tetris for the start. I have only a little expirience with c/c++, though. SO my questions are: Is it possible to create a game like tetris with just a little knowledge of c/c++? Also what do you people think would be the best program to create it with? I am currently using somewhat outdated, Borland''s c/c++ 3.0 I believe and thinking about getting something new. What do you think I should buy? BTW I have a little problem with my c/c++ compiler. It gives me an error saying " Unable to open TCLSSS.LIB file" I guess I messed up something in settings, but I can''t figure out what. So any help on that would be much apreciate. Also if anyone could reccomend me any books/tutorials that is game creating oriented I would appreciate it alot. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
If you don''t mind spending a little money, I would recommend Microsoft Visual Studio 6(or just the Visual C++ component).

I think version 3 of Borland can produce Win32 code, so it should be OK. Even if it cannot, you can use it along with the Platform SDK, which is a free download from Microsoft.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
An English guy is screwing an Irish girl. The girl asks, "You haven''t got aids have you?" He replies, "No." She responds, "Oh, thank fuck for that!! I don''t want to get that again...!"
lol Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 is pretty expansive. it costs $260-350, or at least it did sometime ago.
Anyway, can you explain me what the difference between MS''s Visual Studio 6.0 and let''s say MS''s Visual c++ 6.0 or Borland c++ Builder 5.
Since I have very little expirience and only with c/c++ I don''t really have a clue what the difference between them, and I don''t feel like spending $200 just to figure out that I don''t like/can''t use that program.
Also which one of the above is the eassiest to learn, and reminds the c/c++ 3.0 ?

Thanks for the info.
A guy was fucking his girlfriend in a park by the side of the rode when a cop car pulled up."Just what do you think your doing?" asked the cop.The guy looked up at the cop and replied, "I''m fucking my girlfriend!""Great!" says the cop, "I''m next then!". "Sounds good to me." says the guy."I''ve never fucked a cop before!"
Tetris already exists. You can save some time by downloading
it and playing it. It''s not really much fun anymore. I suggest
you make frogger 2000.
GameDev Reader TODO List:1. Name my company.2. Buy domain name.3. Create web site.4. Name myself as CEO5. Create Game Engine.6. Design game.
Hmm, well Tetris requires knowledge of using arrays very efficiently, and that, for the most part, is it. A pretty simple game, you just have to represent the data correctly. I would recommend doing Pong, or even Breakout, before Tetris. Breakout uses data arrays similar to what you will do with Tetris. As for compilers, Borland is nice, although the version you have is quite old, I would recommend getting yourself the free compiler and IDE Dev-C++! Version 4 though, the betas are too buggy. The IDE is decent, and the compiler is fast, standards-compliant, and overall awesome All completely free. Might be kinda complicated setting DirectX in it at first, but I don't use DirectX anyway, I use the SDL kit for graphics, and you can easily use OpenGL with the compiler too. For beginners anyway, MSVC++ 6 is just too expensive, or just plain unnecassary. I prefer GCC (Mingw32) to MSVC++ 6 anyday, it is much more standards compliant. Give it a try! Good luck.

[I'm an advocate of GNU/open-source tools, mainly because of the standards that they usually adheir to, unlike Microsoft products]

E-mail: i8degrees@cox-internet.com
AIM: i8 degrees

[edited by - i8degrees on April 19, 2002 11:33:39 PM]
"I am governed by none other than the Laws of the Universe."
You can get an learning version of Visual C++ 6 for free with some books. The only problem with it is you can''t distribute software with it.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement