• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markdezonia

I don’t want to learn about meshes just to find out there slow or lack functionality.

This topic is 6055 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I don’t want to learn about meshes just to find out there slow or lack functionality. do they? meshes x.files do they have a slower frame rate than creating vertices by hand ? How much slower? Will I lose functionality like lighting and matrixes ect. I need more complex primitives . Are meshes harder to load and use than vertices by hand. I found a few programs that make x.files and there cool. were is the best free program that makes x.files but must of all, what are the benifits of using meshes over vertices by hand.

Advertisement
All a mesh is is a bunch of vertices that are already defined. It has NO impact on your program whether you do them by hand or use a .x file. Once they are in the vertex buffer it makes absolutly NO difference where the vertices came from. Most of your questions are based around a flawed assumption that meshes are somehow different then hard coding your vertices.. Nope - same thing.

And frankly - you can use ANY format you want to. The .x is simply the format that Microsoft has spelled out and includes helper functions to use. Hell, make your own format and load those up - once the info is in a buffer - it don''t matter where they came from...

Hope this helps.
Landsknecht

Cool just what I wanted to hear I could put spherical mapping matrix on there or change the material ect once its loaded.

So in a x.file or whatever file you can put the vertices and diffuse color and texture on all at once and then modify it even more with what ever when its loaded. well nothing is that easy is it?

[edited by - markdezonia on April 20, 2002 8:27:46 AM]

Actaully, yes. It CAN be that easy. That is half the point of using external files. I personally use Milkshape for my .x files. It can import/export so many formats it is wonderful! Give it a try, its freefor 30 days and only costs $20US to register.

Landsknecht

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!