I don’t want to learn about meshes just to find out there slow or lack functionality.

Started by
2 comments, last by markdezonia 21 years, 12 months ago
I don’t want to learn about meshes just to find out there slow or lack functionality. do they? meshes x.files do they have a slower frame rate than creating vertices by hand ? How much slower? Will I lose functionality like lighting and matrixes ect. I need more complex primitives . Are meshes harder to load and use than vertices by hand. I found a few programs that make x.files and there cool. were is the best free program that makes x.files but must of all, what are the benifits of using meshes over vertices by hand.
Advertisement
All a mesh is is a bunch of vertices that are already defined. It has NO impact on your program whether you do them by hand or use a .x file. Once they are in the vertex buffer it makes absolutly NO difference where the vertices came from. Most of your questions are based around a flawed assumption that meshes are somehow different then hard coding your vertices.. Nope - same thing.

And frankly - you can use ANY format you want to. The .x is simply the format that Microsoft has spelled out and includes helper functions to use. Hell, make your own format and load those up - once the info is in a buffer - it don''t matter where they came from...

Hope this helps.
Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Cool just what I wanted to hear I could put spherical mapping matrix on there or change the material ect once its loaded.

So in a x.file or whatever file you can put the vertices and diffuse color and texture on all at once and then modify it even more with what ever when its loaded. well nothing is that easy is it?

[edited by - markdezonia on April 20, 2002 8:27:46 AM]
Actaully, yes. It CAN be that easy. That is half the point of using external files. I personally use Milkshape for my .x files. It can import/export so many formats it is wonderful! Give it a try, its freefor 30 days and only costs $20US to register.

Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement