Sound and Input With OpenGL

Started by
6 comments, last by razialx 21 years, 12 months ago
Ok, here is a question. I want to make my program as platform independant as possible, and the question i have is this: What API do i use for fast input and sound that compiles on Linux Win32 Solaris etc Thanks
Advertisement
Something like SDL might be what you''re looking for.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
For all the windowing stuff and input you can use the GLUT. It''s availible for Linux, Windows and Mac.
For sound you could use the OpenAl. It''s a sound library in OpenGl style, which supports 3D sound. But It''s still under development (maybe it has already changed).
I would tend to agree with siaspete and recommend SDL
FMOD is a great free (for non-commercial) sound library. This is the best, what I ever saw. Supports MP3, MOD, S3M,... 3D sound effects, EAX, A3D,... It has easy-to-use, great API.

www.fmod.org

Jonny

Use OpenAL for audio (u get it at Creative''s web site), Glut for windowing/keyboard/mouse. If you want to cross-platform networking try HawkNL. I don''t beleive HawkNL is really cross-platform right now but it will in future versions (if someone has the time to port it).
That's just my understanding; I could be wrong.
What is SDL?
http://www.libsdl.org
"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement