Macintosh Game programming

Started by
5 comments, last by grymmus 22 years ago
I know almost nothing about programming,I cant make graphics and such stuff, but I am eager to learn and I wonder if someone could help me getting started, like "What application(s) do I need?" . I am using Mac/MacOS X. Grym as the wind- for noreason
Grym as the wind- for noreason
Advertisement
for Mac development tools, check out "CodeWarrior Learning Edition for Macintosh"
http://www.metrowerks.com/discover/mac/
Thanx for that. I''ve checked it too. I did it this morning, actually. Though, I have got a tiny problem: No one in Sweden sells Metrowerks stuff. But thanks anyway.

You should really post this over at idevgames.com''s forums. You''ll get better, more acurate responses from them since they are devoted to Mac game programming.
If only debugging were as easy as killing cockroaches... *sigh*
Oh what the hell, I''ll give answering it a shot. You don''t need Metrowerks since you''re using OSX. It comes with development tools for C, Objective C, C++, and Java natively installed. Just learn how to use those (don''t ask me, I don''t have the cash to convert to Mac yet). Get a good book on C++, preferably something not from SAMS publishing, or just click here. That''s a link to The C++ Programming Language in PDF format BTW. Then move on to learning how to program for OSX. Ask for recommended books on that topic at idevgames.com. After that, you should be able to do some 2d stuff using the OS API calls. If that proves too slow, try the 2d features of OpenGL. After that, just expand your knowledge. I hope that''s somewhat helpful.
If only debugging were as easy as killing cockroaches... *sigh*
Thanks, but I can''t find the tools. I''ll crack the hard drive open if I''ll have to.

The OS X development tools came on the original OS X CD and the 10.1 upgrade, I believe, but to get the latest versions for free, go to http://www.apple.com/developer. You can sign up for free as an ADC Online member and then get access to tons of tools, sample source code, etc. It still doesn't make programming a Mac any easier, believe me, but at least the info is there. If you don't want to dive into the deep end of programming straight off, you might consider playing with one of the Mac-centric high level languages (like RealBasic) or a multimedia development tool (like Director or Flash) first. However, if you really want to get into this stuff, you may as well take the plunge and learn C, because eventually you're going to need it for *something*!

[edited by - jtlaird on April 21, 2002 11:38:44 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement