GAMERS POLL - Main Character's Death

Started by
41 comments, last by Ferinorius 21 years, 11 months ago
Ok, gotta quick poll I need you all to answer for me. If you were playing an RPG, and suddenly the story took a turn for the worse. Your chacter is faced with a life or death situation. For the sake of clarity, the story is linear and the only way to beat the game is for your character to sacrifice him/herself for the planet, world, cause he/she is fighting for, WOULD YOU STILL PLAY? Please answer the poll without flaming and without inputting too much more than your own 2 cents. question: Would you continue playing a game if you found out that the only way to save the world and beat the game was for your character to sacrifice their life? Neo-Toshi Software
Advertisement
You bet. Anyone ever play Chrono Trigger? The main character dies in that, although he can be brought back later. But who knows that when they first play the game?

"If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." - Albert Einstein
Absolutely. I love non-predictability in games, where people need to make different decisions than normal.
Planescape Torment. My fav. way to finish the game was by committing harakiri.

Then again, the entire *purpose* of the game was to die... ^_^

-Maarten Leeuwrik

Follower of the NLS
(New Lounge Standards)
lol.

Neo-Toshi Software
What''re you asking? If someone will stop playing a game once it''s done? Obviously the player is going to stop playing when the game is over and the story shows that the main character has died. What does this have to do with his liking how the game ends though?
Sorry, I guess I don''t understand.
no, if you find out along the course of the story that the only way to save the world is by giving up your life. that is all

Neo-Toshi Software
You mean, would my desire to keep my character alive outweigh my desire to save the virtual world (therefore causing me to not kill myself and stop progressing through the game)?

I dunno. I guess it would depend on the emotional attachment I make to the world - which would be affected by how detailed / involved it was. In other words, if it were worth saving. A badly rendered, static, uncolonised and uncharacterised environment is a lot harder to feel guilty about.

Or, if I were to die in a really cool way - like, skydiving into an erupting volcano (to appease the volcano god, of course), or like near the end of the film Tron (I know he doesn''t actually die, but you get the idea).

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I look at this on a more practical level.

I''d probably be annoyed at the plot direction.
But I''d keep playing cos I bought the game.

If I got the game for free, I might abandon it if the event happened early on. Otherwise, I''d probably stick it out to see how it finished.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions ]
Kylotan, you are the only one so far that has hit the mark on what I was afraid of. But, Kylotan and whoever might also want to say something along those lines, what if it happened towards the end, on the verge of the story''s climax?

I think, as long as the emotional connection between the player is strong enough, it will be wonderous in its effects, but will it make other people shy away, or not want to finish? Even if it happens towards the very end?

Neo-Toshi Software

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement