• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Visual Basic Question

This topic is 5786 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am considering learning visual basic. I know how to program in qbasic. there are a few questions I would like to ask: Where can you download VB? Can you create 3d games and make characters, maps in 3d max? Where can I get a good tutorial? Thanks Mofu...

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
You have to purchase VB, it''s not a free download.

You can create 3d games, you can make characters/maps in 3d studio max, and a good tutorial on using VB + 3d is on nehe''s gamedev site (nehe.gamedev.net). The site is based on OpenGL with C/C++ but you can download the sources in VB (to most projects) also. There are plenty of sites with VB+ D3D also if you do a search on google. There are other languages that you can use to make games also (and are more efficient at it), like C/C++ or Delphi (aka, pascal++).

Billy - BillyB@mrsnj.com

There is a programming language called Dark Basic which is designed for making games in qbasic style. I''ve never played with it personally, but you should check it out!

VB isn''t a great tool for making 3D games, although I found it to be a very good learning language, a good stepping stone onto C++.

good luck!
bangz.

Guest Anonymous Poster
A better free GameDev language would be BlitzBASIC (www.blitzbasic). I''ve found it to be better than DarkBASIC.

quote:
Original post by bangz
here''s a link: http://www.darkbasic.com/

That''s not a link, that''s text.
To make a link, you need to use html, such as: <a href="http://www.darkbasic.com/">darkbasic</a>

This results in: darkbasic

Hey, you can get C++ for free.

Dev C++ is a pretty good IDE and comes with the compiler. I forget where to get it though.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Actually... I find making 3d programs in VB very simple. I often make my editors and such in VB as it tends to be much simpler than writing the editor in C/C++. My game engine''s + games are ussually written in C/C++ as I find it faster, and when I don''t have to deal with windows + buttons, it''s very simple (and I can''t live without pointers while writing time critical apps).

I have heard of DarkBasic, and BlitzBasic, and I do recommend checking them out as they are basic like syntax and were created to make 3d games. I have not personally used either, but I have heard nothing but good things about DarkBasic, and nothing really about BlitzBasic...

Billy - BillyB@mrsnj.com

• Advertisement