• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peaceman

How many tiles in a map

This topic is 5925 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was just wondering how many tiles a normal RTS map consists of (Cossacks, CaesarIII, Anno1602, AoEII)

Advertisement
I believe aoe2 has many hundreds, if not thousands of different tile types. You can get a program that opens up the aoe2 data file and you can extract all the tiles.

Possibility

I was wondering on mroe detail towards the question..are you asking how many squares(or hexes) a map uses? or are you wondering about the number of terrain types? or are you wondering on how many tiles/textures/ are allocated to each terrain type?

~Aselus

Sorry I didn''t explicitly tell you what I meant, I meant the number of isometric squares on a map. (800x800 f.e.just a guess)

Well, I think that depends of the tile size, the map size and the units size. I use a 256*256 map with 32*16 tiles and that works fine for a medium size map. If your units are half-Diablo size then the same dimensions would make a BIG map, if you use 64*32 size on half height unit then the map would seem HUGE.

I would recommend a 256*256 central map and eight 256*256 maps surrounding the central map, if you get out of the central map you enter one of the other maps and it become the new central map. I guess that is what DiabloII does when moving from section to section. Have you notices you always cross from section to section of the map using a narrow passage, door, bridge, etc?

Greetings
Guimo

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!