• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many tiles in a map

This topic is 5840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I believe aoe2 has many hundreds, if not thousands of different tile types. You can get a program that opens up the aoe2 data file and you can extract all the tiles.

Possibility

I was wondering on mroe detail towards the question..are you asking how many squares(or hexes) a map uses? or are you wondering about the number of terrain types? or are you wondering on how many tiles/textures/ are allocated to each terrain type?

~Aselus

Sorry I didn''t explicitly tell you what I meant, I meant the number of isometric squares on a map. (800x800 f.e.just a guess)

Well, I think that depends of the tile size, the map size and the units size. I use a 256*256 map with 32*16 tiles and that works fine for a medium size map. If your units are half-Diablo size then the same dimensions would make a BIG map, if you use 64*32 size on half height unit then the map would seem HUGE.

I would recommend a 256*256 central map and eight 256*256 maps surrounding the central map, if you get out of the central map you enter one of the other maps and it become the new central map. I guess that is what DiabloII does when moving from section to section. Have you notices you always cross from section to section of the map using a narrow passage, door, bridge, etc?

Greetings
Guimo

• Advertisement