• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

executor_2k2

Bump Mapping Support

This topic is 5931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have decided to add bump map support to my game engine. I use .3ds files in my engine. Anyone know if .3ds stores bump map info from max? If not should I do bump map calculation in software or make it hardware accelerated. Errm.. I havent used the nvSDK yet so I would have to overcome that learning curve. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Advertisement
You wouldn''t want to use bumpmapping in software, it would be rediculously slow. Use the hardware, look into register combiners ( replacement for texture environments ) and DOT3 bumpmapping ( better than emboss ). There is a pretty good paper on bumpmapping called "A Practical And Robust Technique For Bump-Mapping On Todays GPU''s". Do a search on Google using that to find a download site.

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!