• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superdood

SMS games?

This topic is 5963 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone here know anything about SMS (short messaging service) for mobile phones? I know it''s a long shot but I thought I''d ask. I had an idea for an online RPG that people could play by sending commands and messages (via mobile text messaging) and then get automatic responses about score, status, health, etc... I''m guessing you would need some kind of special server or something so that yo ucould recieve the messages, but then again I have no idea really. Just if anyone knows anything about this or would like to learn with me let me know. If you know anything about this topic, email me at superdood13@msn.com thanks, Josh

Advertisement
It''s a nice idea - there may be some potential players, but I think it''d be very difficult:
+ Sending SMS text messages can be quite expensive, and if you''re sending loads of them to command something, then it''d add up pretty quickly - but that money wouldn''t be going to you - it''d be going to the phone companies.
+ I personally don''t think it''d be fun enough to warrant the expense.

Anyway, I think you''d be better off looking into WAP games, or games to be played on PDAs and similar. But games for mobile devices definately have potential.

But I guess it might work - it''d just be very difficult to get right.

Just my 2 [insert currency here].

John B

You''re right... now the text messages are kind of expensive, but with several companies switching to a GSM (Gloabal Standard for Mobile communications) ex. AT&T, Cingular. It will be using the new GPRS (dont ask me what it stands for) which is a new kind of digital service that is a lot more data oriented, therefore, data transfer such as, text messageing, emails, wireless internet, and other things like that are becoming extremely cheaper than it used to be. But of course this idea that I had is very raw and still needs some work. Im just trying to stay on the edge of things to come and even if many people wouldn''t play it, it would be something new for me to learn which could be very promising in the future.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!