Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Playstation2 Development

This topic is 5748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to write playstation 2 programs from my windows box, and burn them to a CD and play them on the console. If not, how is playstation2 development done? Thanks, Josh Grant.

Ok, this is already second hand information since I am repeating what I was told on the subject, but I'll see if I can explain. There are two ways you can do PS2 Programming: one you can write on your PC, get a DVD burner, and a mod chip for your PS2. You would need a compiler that can output .elf files (not sure but I think so) What that means is that you'll have to run linux. The other way of course is to get an official development kit.

-=Lohrno

PS: This might have been a better question for the Console and PDA development forum.

[edited by - Lohrno on April 20, 2002 7:11:44 PM]

Sorry I did not post it there, I must not have been thinking right. What does a mod chip do? I wonder if a regular old cd burned would work. I know the ps2 supports it, it can play ps games that are on regular cd''s. I already run linux, what sort of compilers output .elf?

Thanks

A mod chip basically bypasses your PS2''s copy protection circuitry. Burned PS2 DVDs might not work with your PS2 if you don''t have one. I''m not sure what compilers support that. I had a discussion about this exact topic a LONG time ago with some guy who told me all this, try a search in the forum archives for PS2 or something. =D He mighta said.

-=Lohrno

Shouldn''t the official Linux kit for PS2 let you do this without a mod chip?

As I understand it, it does, but if you don''t want to go the official way, you''ll probably need a mod chip.

-=Lohrno

gcc outputs .elf files, in fact, linux is currently heading away from a.out format to .elf format, but currently supports both until everything is converted

ewen

So pS2 is 128 bit am I correct? so is coding any different? eg would an int be 32 bytes so you would have to use long specificly or whatever?

CEO Plunder Studios

Even if that did work, you would have to burn your program every time you wanted to test it (a program that ran on your PC would not run on the PS2, and vice versa). Unless you can get an emulator for the PS2.

Guest Anonymous Poster
GCC is what you need for PS2 development. You should find it easily. Research about the hardware, cos if this goes like dreamcast development, you''ll need it. PS2 homebrew is still in severe stages of infancy, thoyugh it is now bearing a little better. You''ll need something like the coders cable for the DC, and an IPUploader program.
Hope i helped :D

quote:
Original post by elis-cool
So pS2 is 128 bit am I correct? so is coding any different? eg would an int be 32 bytes so you would have to use long specificly or whatever?

CEO Plunder Studios

Ok, first of all, PS2''s Vector Units VU1 & VU2 are 128 bit. PS2''s Integer Units are 64 bits each. A 32 byte int depends on the compiler you use.

I have not been here in a while because I have been spending a lot of time at the www.playstation2-linux.com forums. If you want a lot of information about PS2 hobby development, head on over. I am not sure if any US PS2 Linux Kits are left, but I ordered mine, and it will be shipping May 22. Sony might decide to release more. Not sure.

Edem Attiogbe