ARB_Multitexture Performance

Started by
2 comments, last by Grizwald 22 years ago
Hey, I''m using ARB_Multitexture for tile blending in my RTS. It would seem that calling glBindTexture before each "layer" of my textures would be slow, even if my textures were arranged in a tree so they were they were prepared once per frame. How could i go about optimizing ARB_Multitexture, and are those glBindTexture''s a performance hit? Thanks, Grizwald
I love me and you love you.
Advertisement
glBindTexture have to be done once in the whole app process. And this can be done in the loading routine. And it shouldn''t be that slow (if you are using C++).
Dan FeketeThe Shadowhand Co.If everybody has it's own matrix, then mine is an identity
dande : What???????? (RTFM)
Grizwald: the only thing you can do is to sort chunks of terrain by textures used and render the ones with the same textures in a batch. then find the nex most simmilar chunk, change required textures and render.... and so on... and, yes glBindTexture is quite a big hit. (as all state chnges)

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Darkwing is right, and I believe that method is used often. I use the "texture splatting" method for my terrain which does just that. As a pre processing step I find each quad that a certain texture effects and generate tri-strips for that particular "splat". That way the only glBindTexture calls I need to make are when changing splats.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement