about armor and models

Started by
6 comments, last by Enalis 21 years, 11 months ago
Im a RPG of the past i need to have different armors... how would i go about putting the different armors and apparel on a 3d model... specifically an .md2 model??????????
Douglas Eugene Reisinger II
Projects/Profile Site
Advertisement
One way would be to use animation blending. With animation blending, you can take a model, blend it with a model that might have spiky armor or long hair, and it would give you a new shape. Then you just texture it like normal, and you have a new armor. Check out this months Game Developer magazine for a little bit more information. The article deals with the usefulness of this technique, not the implementation though.
Just like raven did in soldier of fortune have models then use other external models which you can assign to that model by tags. Also like the quake 3 models they have specific tags for their models like head, legs and body you just need other tags fo your certain needs.
For my Raid3D project I also use MD2 models. I plan to implement armor the same way as quake2 implemented weapons. An extra model wich is assigned to the model who wears is.

You don''t need many extra models for this. With multiple textures assigned to the same armor model, different armors can be created. EG a model featuring big shoulder plates only. If you assign it to the model, change the texture of the player model itself to reflect light plate, plate mail or lamellar armor. Chain mail can be done on the same model as leather, etc etc.

The same method can be applied to lower-leg plates (with the big knees ''n'' stuff) and to helmets. Just make sure the player model never sticks through the armor model during animation.

- An eye for an eye will make the world go blind -

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

But say the person has a leather helmet and a chain shirt will i have to make all the possibilities or will is that not possible with the md2 models
Projects/Profile Site
or you can make armor&clothes with some kind of cloth/soft-body simulation. just fix some vertices on model and let the physic animate the rest of it. this will look realy good but coding it is very dificult...

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
two ways to do the chain&leather helmet.

1:
switch the texture on the player to reflect chain mail.
add the helmet model with the leather texture
(the helmet is a seperate model and thus a seperate texture. Combine all you want)

2:
If you have only 2 complete player models (with and without helmet), dynamically build the data for the texture like this:
Load the player skin, the chain mail and the leather helmet. Paste the chain mail and helmet on the skin, build the texture and assign the texture to the player model.

I reccommend the first method. Create separate MD2''s for eacht armor location (helmet, torso armor, leg armor, shield) and render them along with the player model.

- An eye for an eye will make the world go blind -

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Sweet i understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Projects/Profile Site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement