Ok, I need some advice?

Started by
3 comments, last by Vegadam 21 years, 11 months ago
Well, Ive tried for about two and a half years now. And game developing just seems like it isnt the thing for me. Im not good at codeing. I know how to code, but I dont understand how it goes together. I know what all the commands do, but not how to make them all work twords a common goal. But, I have been writeing storys sense I was in 4th grade. So I was wondering if someone could point me to a site, or give me some advice as to how to break into this part of the industry. And what you would be doing in this job. THank you
Advertisement
Don''t lose heart. You''re still new to it and lack experience and tolerance for programming. Rewind a bit. Start off simple. Write a simple pong game. Them expand it a bit to keep track of score and display it on screen. Then, change the ball from a square to a circle, and then to some image. Incrementally get yourself familiar with the way game programming goes. Its a heavy investment of time, but its worth it.

Incidentally, try picking up SDL if you don''t have a good graphics and/or game library. It has a learning curve, but its not as hard as say DirectX or windows.h is to understand.

www.libsdl.org is the link I think.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel
If you're going to get into writing, you'd better learn how to spell. The gerund form of the verb "to code" is spelled "coding", not "codeing". The proper spelling of "story" is "stories", not "storys".

I've been noticing a lot of people doing this sort of thing (trying to pluralize simply by adding an "s"). There's also a recent trend toward using " 's" for the same as well (which is strictly reserved for possessives). Anybody have any idea what's in the water these days?

[edited by - merlin9x9 on April 29, 2002 5:49:05 PM]
Maybe you should give up.
I''m a programmer. I can''t draw to save my life ( unless i don''t try, then it looks okay ). My stories are mediocre. I can make a game engine in my lunch break, but I can''t make levels for any of my games. All of them consist of well... one enemy was fun, lets try two; or hey cool, I drew a tree, lets put lots of trees on this level.

I have a lot of friends who think that programming is impossible / boring. They are probably right, but I like it.

Try just writing game design docs + story outlines and posting here or other places. See if you can get a position as Game Designer or Dialog Scripter with a group of friends or an online team.

Programmer isn''t the only thing out there, and it seems to me that more and more emphasis is being placed on the artistic portions of the process
Well, I wouldn't say give up totally on programming. At least be aware of how everything works so that you are in charge of a project, rather than being second fiddle to the lead programmer.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.

edit: wouldn't, not would.

[edited by - inmate2993 on May 3, 2002 8:24:41 PM]
william bubel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement