Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DanG

building a lightmap

I am currently working on building my first dynamic lightmap and redering it. What i mean is that i have a simple scene drawn out in Milkshape and have loaded it into my program and can draw it just the way it is. What i want to do is create a lightmap for the large polies in this scene as a preprocess, but i''m not sure how to actually create it. I was thinking of using a very simple raytracing algorithm that castes a ray from each spot on a polygon''s lightmap. This ray would bounce around the environment until it hit a light, at which point its intesity is calculated. Does this seem like a good way to produce the lightmap? It allows for shadows in the lightmap (i could filter the lightmap for smooth shadow edges). Is radiosity the prefered method for this? I don''t really understand radiosity, so i''d like to try the raytracing idea. Any thoughts suggestions? He who said money was the root of all evil knew little of the nature of money and less about the nature of man.

if you haven''t already read this - a lightmap tutorial on flipCode, and this a more detailed explanation of the first tutorial, which also explains a technique for calculating intensity.

Also if you haven''t already, before going into radiosity, learn lambertian lighting and other similar gear. Do a search for "Lambert''s Law" etc etc.

HTH
Toby

Gobsmacked - by Toby Murray