Beginning DX

Started by
11 comments, last by Pipo DeClown 21 years, 11 months ago
Hi All! I am learning C++ right now and I''m doing fine. I wanted to learn a littkle bit of DX, what I saw was (saw>Thought So
Someone once said You have to learn to crawl before you can walk. Well it applies here very well. If you cant grasp C++ how do you expect to learn APIs? Go through 2 or 3 C++ books and get a very firm understanding of the language and THEN move on to different specializations.
Stupid Q but: If I already know C++, where do i start?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Can someone be nice and help me on my way to be the next Hideo Kojima? Thought So...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
try the directx forum faq

-----------------------------
Andy Pike
DirectX 8 Tutorials: www.andypike.com
-----------------------------Andy PikeDirectX 8 Tutorials: www.andypike.comBatch Image Processing Software
Who is Hideo Kojima?
< There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! >
Lol, the key my friend, is not to do things in a sequential manner but to do things until understand them. This doesn not necessarily have to be done one by one. READ, a lot of coders are avoiding it. Don''t Ask, Do. Answer you own questions.

Reality Makes Me XiC
I don''t do talk, I code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience beauty.
http://www.x-i-c.com/
I am XiCI don't do talk, I code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience XiC. http://www.x-i-c.com/
Ha you talk like you are a god orsomething............

BTW Hideo is the maker of Metal GEar SOlid......

The first thing is get a good grasp of C++. This includes functions, classes, pointers, and it is good to know more advanced stuff like inheritance, function pointers, and understand how the STL works, since you''ll either end up using it or remaking it yourself.

You must have a good understanding of pointers and addresses. In programming games, from what I''ve done, you have to be very proficient with addresses.

And finally, once you get this, you can go to the DX8 SDK documentation. The tutorials are pretty simple to understand (usually they only introduce a few concepts per tutorial) and they give you solid code that WILL WORK. This is important, considering some books (Windows Game Programming for Gurus) give you trashy code that doesn''t help you.

--Vic--
Thank you VERY much!
I wil follow your advice, but: I ALREADY KNOW C++!!!

but thank you for telling about doc with the SDK!

I have always rushed with new stuff so I can see the damn thing work, then went back and figured out what the hell I did. Wasted a lot of time. Now I take the slow approach, which saves a lot of time even though it doesnt look like it.
++postcount;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement