• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hammerstein_02

DX Window + Text Output

This topic is 5871 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am creating a small tamagotchi style program in a window. At first I started off simply creating a normal window, but when I came to the input section thought I might be better off using DirectInput, so then thought, why not throw graphics in there as well! Can''t hurt after all. So I know have my window created, have initialised everything, have my little window... How do I output text using DirectX8?? Firstly, I want to use DX8, I don''t wanna use SDL.. because this is a practice for me in programming and using DX. Secondly, I know DX8 will have the functionality of DX7 in there..but I presume it is wrong to use older functions when you have newer ones available. I have looked at the documentation, and have not found anything to do with outputting text in a windowed app.. What I would appreciate is some guidance to what I should look at, some sample code would be appreciated.. I don''t really wanna use wrappers just yet, I am still finding my feet in the entire DX stuff, and would like to know I can write the lower stuff. Thank-you for your time, and I hope i haven''t been too dumb.. Oh, btw I use Visual C++ to create my programs (Thought would help being that I am asking for sample code)

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!