• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

z-buffers explained

This topic is 6561 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

We''re having a little discussion at a VB game programming forum about z-buffers. Can anyone give me a correct and somewhat short explanation of what they do? Thanks in advance ============================ Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design "I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

Advertisement
The very short explanation is that a z-buffer keeps track of what ''depth'' each pixel on the screen has been drawn at so far in the rendering process. For example, suppose you drew a polygon to the screen, and at one particular pixel, the z-value was 50. Then, if you draw another polygon, you check each pixel to see if it''s z-value is ''behind'' the old one. If it is, you don''t draw the pixel, but if not, you draw the pixel and update the z-buffer.

I hope this makes sense. You are pretty much keeping a running total of which colors should be on ''top'' in each pixel location. This way, you prevent a little overdraw, but you also mainly keep from overlapping parts of polygons that shouldn''t be visible from the perspective of your 3d viewpoint.

(Sorry, if that''s confusing. I''m tired )

Ok, thanks, that''s just what I needed.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design

"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

• Advertisement