Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

russian-bear

Backdrop using DXSprite

russian-bear    122
Hi! Im using DXSprite to ''blit'' a 800x600 backdrop split up in tiles (max 256x256). The framerate droped from 1100fps to 700 fps. Is that because im using so large textures or is it because of the DXSprite interface? Do you think it would be better to just blit with 2poly quads inmstead of DXSprite?

tok_junior    229
You should definitely go for the polyapproach, and draw everything with tristrips or indexed lists instead, since most modern cards actually have faster texturemapping than standard 2d blitting :/

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.

russian-bear    122
I mesured the performance betwine using DXSprites or simple textured quads and it was no big difference.

I gues sending a couple of 256x356 textures has a great impact on performance.

grasshopa55    128
A couple of questions:

1: What is your screen size?
2: What type of file is your backdrop?
3: What Color Depth?

-----------------------------
kevin@mayday-anime.com
http://games.mayday-anime.com

russian-bear    122
I did nothing special its just an asteroids clone windowed mode 800x600 32bpp and i loaded a background image (24bit) thats all. Iv tried to load the whole texture at once and i got aproximaly the same fps.

[edited by - russian-bear on April 30, 2002 10:03:20 PM]

Pactuul    122
a drop from 1100 to 700 is not that big of a deal.

Now a drop from 80 fps to 60 fps is. You''ll start to notice after a while that your framerate will drop signifantly then slowly start curving off.

Draigan    130
Plus, depending on the way u are doing your frame rate timing and the precision of the timer, then a difference of 700fps and 1100fps could be as simple as timer precision.