Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

White Rabbit

What is the best Map-Editor out there?

White Rabbit    118
I started doing my own map editor(for a FPS) when i started thinking i might have been reinventing the wheel again, so all i'de like would be some well argumented opinions about this. What's the best way of adding maps to your own game, your own engine, do it yourself, or not? If not, use what? why? I've heard talking about 3d studio max, q3radiant, milkshape, etc., since then i've started thinking about how good(or not) would gmax be to map edit, and i am more confused than ever. Just one final thing, "i like 3dsmax, cause i saw a kewl image in XXX link" doesn't really help me out much, like i said up there, argument well please! "Follow the white rabbit." [edited by - White Rabbit on April 29, 2002 9:51:44 PM]

Nerve101    122
Radiant, GTKradiant (kind of the same thing only more user friendly), and Valve Hammer Editor (valves fancy name for worldcraft =O) are good editing tools.

-----------------
- Nerve

[edited by - Nerve on April 29, 2002 10:18:09 PM]

White Rabbit    118
I really can''t stress This enought =).
Argument please!!!
Is it better? How much better? In wich way?
free? expensive? fast? user-friendly? slow? most used? can cook pizza in microwave?
Explain Why is it better!

"Follow the white rabbit."

Zipster    2365
Worldcraft has the best balance between ease of use and power. Other editors, such as QuArK, provide excellent features, but are easily overwhelming. They take a lot longer to get used to, and are slower to start with. Worldcraft is fast and friendly, and provides your basic object insertion, clipping, carving (eww), vertex manipulation, hollowing, etc., with an easy-to-follow user interface. All you need to know is that MAP format it generates.

And for the Love Of God, PLEASE do NOT download the Valve Hammer Editor. It''s exactly the same as Worldcract 3.3 (ok, it has a few insignificant fixes, i.e not important if 3.3 worked, and no new features), but crashes ten times as often and has three times the number of problems. Download WC 3.3. I can''t tell you how many bugs and crashes I see reported everyday, on every system imaginable!

OrangyTang    1298
I prefer QuArK, but if you use the .map files generated then you should be able to use both without any problems since the file format is identical.

NaliXL    120
I personally like UnrealEd very much. I think it''s very easy to use, while having about everything you''ll ever need. Anyway, if you''re choosing UnrealEd, I''d wait until Unreal Tournament 2003 is out. It''ll have a whole lot of new funcionality!