Problem with lighting

Started by
7 comments, last by Kingpin393 21 years, 11 months ago
I have: ambient light set to 48, 48, 48 a point light at 0,0,0, with range 1000 a loaded .x file object at 0,0,-200 when i render the scene i want the side of the object facing away from the light to be darker, why isn''t it? i think it has something to do with the normals... thanks for any help Kevin
Kevin
Advertisement
You''re probably right about the normals.

Just to be sure - you are sure that you are looking at the object correctly? (meaning - you''re sure that you''re looking at what you think you''re looking at...)

Also, is any side being lit at all (is the light even on)?

Is some side being lit, but it''s the wrong side? That could be normals, or it could be that it is correct, but you are looking at it / thinking about it wrong.

Please post more details.
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
no i can rotate all around the object...it is light on all sides

Kevin
Kevin
i made the object in 3d studio max, and exported it, when i open the .x file i can see a list of normals, along with the coords and textures

Kevin
Kevin
I don''t want to sound like I''m stating the obvious so if I am, my apologies.
If its bright from all sides, lighting may not be turned on.
I believe the answer is "Diffuse". Use the Diffuse lighting instead of Ambient. I think Ambient causes everything to light up, there''s no dark side.
the light is on because if i turn it off or lower randge everything is dark

what do i set the diffuse of?

the light?

Kevin
Kevin
i tried playing with just about every combo of the lights spec, diff, and ambient light, to no avail, when i turn off ambient it makes the object dark...as it i turned off the light...

Kevin
Kevin
do i have to change the materials diffuse/ambient/spec?

Kevin
Kevin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement