So what do you all think of the entries??

Started by
19 comments, last by Flecko 21 years, 11 months ago
I'm downloading them alphebetically and watching them all, and so far, very impressive. One of them seemed to not run right, but I'm only on the 5th one. Please, everyone post what they think, I plan on posting my impressions of each demo after I get them all, probably tomorrow. Great work everyone!! -Flecko EDIT: I noticed not all of them are posted, so I guess it will have to wait until tomorrow. Best of luck all! Never use your hand as a hammer or you''ll just end up hurting it like you did when you told it you had a girlfriend. [edited by - Flecko on April 30, 2002 1:52:09 AM]
Never use your hand as a hammer or you''ll just end up hurting it like you did when you told it you had a girlfriend.
Advertisement
This Mirko Teran dude sure makes good demos
-Js

Js
Js
A few rings going around in circles got slightly boring. Now Valdemar Rorbech wrote an awesome demo. Its light hearted and actually fun to watch!
Well, I finally got them all, took forever, and in my ratings, I have 2 very good entries, (daniel_schaeppi, and george_ziniewicz) then some good entries (about 6), and lots of ..um.. lets say hmm.. (mum said if I don''t have something good to say..) um.. well, they fall into either boring, really boring, plain, really plain, or zzzzzzzzzzzz The one that really put me to sleep, was the one with the map and the red dots... I kept waiting for some action, but TEXT?? Ack! This isn''t the 80''s?

Oh, and a few of them didn''t work, so I don''t know if they are good or not. (bruno_loff, kristoffer_boman, vincent_david) are the ones that either crashed, or had some real problems.

My demo (kristoffer_boman) works allright, but the loading time is very slow, and I have no loadingscreen. If you wait long enough it will start.
Ok, I stand corrected. (Mind you I have a 1GHz machine, and staring at 640x480 desktop for that long, I just assumed it crashed before I killed the process. OOps.

Oh yeah, someone else started a thread with basically the same topic name, only more oooo''s.

Lets keep it in one thread!
I loaded all 46, viewed them, and divided them up:

very nice: 8 (not in order: zaprjagaev,schaeppi,ilmola,ravnikar,elcott,kumar,rorbech & mine (thank you Clancy))
good: 10
ok: 16
crashed: 12 (many HARD crashes requiring a power-cycle)
(1 gig athlon/geforce2/win98)

Overall there were many great ideas, I laughed alot (a good kind of laugh, I like surprises and wit) and was impressed overall. Best contest ever (I''ve been part of 30+ the past year or 2.)

There is much I can learn from these entries, and I appreciate the work people put in to them. Thanks yall!

And I know I had alot of fun, and learned alot doing mine: 1st time multitexturing/my own cylinders&torii/my first demo (multi-scene & music synched), godrays, 4th texcoord manipulations (lava), 1st time using my camera-script recorder/player class...

Next?! (actually some down-time is good so I can incorporate what I''ve learned into my framework)

I hope people got a chance to try my interactive sliders, you can adjust about 50 params, and edit many objects (like put any loaded texture at any scale and scroll on the columns!)

zin

zintel.com - 3d graphics & more or less
What happened to the other "what do you think of the entries" thread? I posted comments on the first nine demos a few hours ago and now it''s disappeared - I hope it wasn''t something I said!

If the other thread was deleted due to something I said in my post - please don''t delete this thread as well, just delete this post and let me know what it was I said that wasn''t appropriate.

Anyway, here''s part two of my demo critique - If anyone didn''t see the first part - A) these are only my opinions and B) if anyone wants to get their own back feel free to post comments/criticisms of my own demo.
Daniel Schaeppi
Very nice opening scene
Great text effect
Gandalf''s shadow seemed to pendulum a bit - I think this was deliberate, but it looked a bit odd
Another strong entry.

Flavien Brebion
All the scenes were very well done
I though maybe the candle could have done with some ambient light - to cut down the strobe effect from the flickering flame
I loved the rain and lightning in the orthanc scene
My only complaint would be that I felt you spent too much time on each scene - I know you had a lot to show off, but they felt like they dragged by a bit, especially when the moth appeared.
A very strong entry.

George Ziniewicz
Lava just didn''t quite look right
What on (middle-)earth was the Mona Lisa doing being reflected in the ring?!?!
I liked the scene change effects
Your Rivendell scene didn''t really look like Rivendell to me
The 3 way split in Moria was very nice
Palantir was good
Your underwater scene didn''t look much like underwater to me
The whole thing seemed to go on a bit long
Very good demo, but not the best (in my opinion).

Graeme Harris
Simple but effective
I thought it was a pity you didn''t enable any lighting on the ring
Would have been nice if the demo had faded out (audio & visuals) instead of just cutting

Graham Aldridge
Very effective
Nice range of scenes
Ring bouncing was very nice
The blizzard looked a bit odd
The eye at the very end was a very nice touch

Henrique Tavares Alves
I love this! It''s great.
Not going to win any prizes, but it''s a nice break from all the other "serious" entries
Sound went odd in the ring coming out of the river scene

Hugh Sanderson
Would have been nice if there was a texture on the eye particles
Models were good

Ildar Sagdejev
Nice idea
Would have been nice if the camera had moved round the trees instead of straight through them
Probably would have benefited from the trees having a bottom to the cone.

Jesper Ek
Not too much you can say about this one
The different text effects were very nice
The ring was well done

Enigma
------
...last in our own social hierarchy, when we...
I was just waiting for the Mona comment! }B^)

Nice job of critiqueing, all feedback is constructive, thanks Enigma.

zin

I think I''d have to pick Graham Aldridge''s entry for best of show. In my opinion(keep this in mind) it had the best overall atmosphere and kept to the spirit of the Tolkien Universe. A very effective demo with the combination of 2d/3d to convery alot of scenes in the small 5meg limit. I was really impressed.

Overall the entries were great. I really enjoyed alot of them. Some needed some help, but hey, I''m not in the contest based on the fact that I need help to start with =P

Really really good work to everyone. I really liked the contest, and the theme.

Take care,
-Flecko
Never use your hand as a hammer or you''ll just end up hurting it like you did when you told it you had a girlfriend.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement