making an engine that could stand AI

Started by
3 comments, last by Fratt 21 years, 11 months ago
hello, i know nothing about AI. I''m making a game engine, so i wonder how to manage properly an eventual AI that users of my engine would do ? i programm in C++, so maybe some classes that could stand AI would be something great. I don''t want to make IA, just manage a potential AI. thanx
Advertisement
To clarify your question, you want idea''s for an interface or something that could be used for AI in your game, but it will be users who actually implement the functions for those interfaces?
If thats what you mean, it would be helpful to know what sort of game you are making...
I don''t know much about AI & Algo''s pertaining to but I have been doing some research and have found the following site that might be of some help to you:

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html

Hope it helps...

Anaton
Flying Tigers CFSG
Anaton
i''m making a library for making games; so at the end i hope it could be used for many types of game... just a hope.

Now, it concentrates on racing with cars. So i''d have to know the cpu is driving a car and could follow the road and don''t go in the land... it could go front other cars, turning right when there is a right curve...

i don''t know if it''s possible like that. That''s why i need help.
At this time we are making the specificities and diagrams of the whole lib. so, it''s essential to know how to manage the IA without programming IA. maybe you understand that, as i''m not english and maybe i have a poor language.

cordially,
Fratt
I have, at some points considered developing an AI engine, i.e. something that could be implemented as a universal set of functions, objects etc to make AI development quicker, however, the major problem you have is that you don''t want to restrict the end user of your engine, so by building the routines yourself, for say a pathfinding algorithm, you''re going to need to know the map structure, in order to parse it. But by setting a pre-defined map structure, you''re restricting the user of your engine. I suggest you make the existing functions, objects etc in your engine as accessible as possible, maybe at most implement some objects allowing for Neural Networks, and some simple stuff to make FSM''s and Scripts a little easier.

With racing games, as far as I know, use a set of ''tracks'' or ''routes'' layed out on the course. The AI cars follow these tracks and when a certain ''trigger'' occurs, such as an opportunity to overtake, (or a simulated mistake), then the car leaves the predefined route and possibly pathfinds around the car in front or whatever, back to the track.

Cheers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement