Dumbest thing you did as a newbie?

Started by
95 comments, last by Promit 20 years, 7 months ago
"When I first worked with SQL server, one of the projects I had added alot of bad data into the database. So I wrote a DELETE statement to clear up anything flagged as demo or test data. I ran the query in Query Analyser, only I didn''t get theWHERE clause highlighted...and poof, there went the entire table''s data.

Looking back now, I don''t see why it took 2 hours to restore 100,000 or so rows of data. I think the DBA was slacking (and no, he didn''t have any other priorities at the time =))"
~"What''s this red button do?"
Advertisement
My only newbie mistake I''ve ever made was thinking linked lists where lists of links (coming from an html background...). Suprisingly, I''ve never fell victim to putting = instead of ==.

My first foray into Win32 programming was something like this:

#include <windows.h>int WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,LPCTSTR lpCmdLine, int nShowCmd) {    printf("Test");} 

Took me forever to figure out why it didn''t work.
Back when I was 13 I bought my first computer, a Timex/Sinclair 1000. Back then I used to get the TS related magazines and copy the programs and all. And the big feature that game ads featured in those days was the claim that the game was 100% pure machine code. So since the TS 1000 manual actually had the Z80 mnemonics in an appendix, I decided to write a pure assembly program in BASIC.

DIM A$[200]
A$[1]="LDA #3"
A$[2]="LDB 4"
REM GET ADDRESS OF START OF CODE
C=PEEK(someplace)*256+PEEK(someplace+1)+someconstant
R=USR(C)

It obviously crashed everytime I did it. And I did it well over 100 times trying to figure out why it would not work.

I''ve done pretty much all the errors listed here. All of the classics (i.e. = instead of ==, and c-string hell) and some extras that are too horrible to discuss.

Just recently I was writing an OpenGL app. It absolutely refused to open the damned window, and I was pulling my hair out. Suddenly I realized that I was doing:

if ( m_hDC = NULL )

instead of

if ( m_hDC == NULL )

Some of the most amusing incidents as a newbie I had were when I had problems like the one listed above and asked about a ''random'' error or the like on some IRC room and trying to BS my way out of embarresment when I figured out what the issue was.
Has someone ever tried to play Doom multiplayer across "serial link" connection? I did long time ago. And I still wonder why it didn't work

EDIT: a "serial" link connection through the "parallel" port.

[edited by - owl on September 14, 2003 2:12:29 AM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
My biggest mistake as a (current) newbie is overestimating my abilities.

[edited by - antareus on September 14, 2003 2:12:18 AM]
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement