Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rimrok

VB DD or C++ DD?

I was thinking of learning DirectDraw in C++, but then I heard that DirectDraw using VB is beginning to get as fast as C++. Is this true, and what do you guys think, should I use VB or C++ and why? Bye for now! [edited by - Rimrok on April 30, 2002 10:25:09 AM]

Haha

That's a good reason... I'll go for c++!

The reason I started to wonder is this:
I was in a book store the other day and as usual I whent through the game programming shell.. And to my suprise (ok, I just took a glance at it, but anyway) I could only see VB DirectX programming books...

[edited by - Rimrok on April 30, 2002 1:31:58 PM]

It isn''t really a good reason, they don''t look for what language you use, they look for your problem solving ability, I know a guy who''s job interview for a gaming company was basically him showing them some VB demos, telling them that he knew how to code in C++ and that was it. Of course he got the job because he was a great coder, and knew what he was doing.

Trying is the first step towards failure.

quote:
Original post by JmarsKoder
C++ DD, if for no other reason, simply because you can use that experience on a resume and look good. No mainstream game dev team wants to see. "Expert VB game coder."

Reality Makes Me XiC
I don't do talk, I code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience beauty.
http://www.x-i-c.com/

You could be suprised... It's not the language that makes the coder, it's experience. Coding in DD for VB or C++ comes down to the same thing, LOGIC. And if you have the logic, you can code in any language, it doesn't matter what it is. It all comes down to one thing, can you get it to work and can you do it fast enough. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that one is better than the other, what I'm saying is that it's logic that counts, not language. Hell, I've seen some pretty cool VB RPGs that worked just as good as any C++ RPGs. I've also seen some pretty cool tools made with VB that ran just as good as any C++ version of the same tools. I hope you get the point. Btw, before posting stuff like that, you should really get informed.

"And that's the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
danielc@iquebec.com
Founder
Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

[edited by - cyberdrek on May 1, 2002 5:49:08 AM]

I know this is a really sensitive issue, but I propose that experience in C++ is more valuable to mainstream game development than VB experience. Although they are both programming languages, and logic, is logic regardless of syntax. There are many memory management pittfalls with c++ that only experience in the language can teach you about how to handle memory management. However I do agree, that the differience in logic design isn''t too dramatic. However when moving from one language to the next your whole programming thinking sometimes has to change. For example I was a c++ coder for lik 4 years then I had to learn and use java for some projects. At first I though the change would be minimal, but then after learning how java uses references for all variable type, and learning about the basic "object" type and the such, alot of my programming methodologies had to be redesigned to suit java''s reference focused nature. My c++ coding technique is vastly different than my java coding technique. So i guess the botom line is: learn everything, lolz :-)

Reality Makes Me XiC
I don''t do talk, I code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience beauty.
http://www.x-i-c.com/