• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moe

A question about file I/O...

This topic is 5895 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am wondering what is the most commonly used method for file input/output for windows based text/binary files? I have seen people use ''FILE'', and I have seen people use fstream. Is there much of a difference between the two in terms of performance/ease of use? Moe''s site

Advertisement
I don''t know about perfomance but I''d go with fstream for ease of use.

Firstly, who doesn''t know how to use << and >>? What''s more, you can overload the << and >> operators for your classes.

using the standard c funtions is easy as well. i mean who dont know how to use fread()/fwrite()? whats more you can wrap the functions for your use.

Basiclly i would say use fstream if your going to be extracing data into a C++ String..

string temp;

User fread/fwrite if your going to be extracting data into a C Character string

char temp[30];

Guest Anonymous Poster
C++ streams are easier and safer. Typesafety is one of the greatest things you can have.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!