can i use a quake engine to make RPGs?

Started by
11 comments, last by HaRsH 21 years, 11 months ago
Deleting a couple of your posts, for one. ~,^

Anachronox was created using the absolute FULL Quake 2 source.
That became available a couple of months ago.

The Quake 3 source, however, is still just the game dll code and
you can''t modify the actual engine itself.

That make sense?

-Hyatus
"da da da"
Advertisement
Also keep in mind that Q3 was created for *multiplayer*, while Q2 was created for single player. Without a large amount of modification Q3 doesn''t do things like complex environment scripting and level linking. Q2 does this out of the box.
quake2 does not do complex scripting of enviroments out of the box. you are thinking of halflife. quake2 only supports very basic support for scripting objects. quake3 is perfectly suited engine for mod development of an rpg provided you are willing to do work and solve some creative problems. hl may be better (you get slightly better access to the engine and its OO based). i would not use quake1,quake2 since its under GPL which means ALL source you change or add MUST be released with the executable. this may or may not bother you, but i feel its better that you know this before committing to using quake1/quake2 full source.

i suggest wither quake3, unreal tournament or half-life. while half-life is VERY graphically limited compared to the others, its also probably the most open ended system out there. unreal tournamnet is very OOP and may also be a good choice.

ƒA ƒpƒ‹ƒTƒk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement