SDL

Started by
4 comments, last by TeraByte 21 years, 11 months ago
I was looking at the SDL site (www.libsdl.org) and it looks pretty good for a cross-platform game. Does anyone here use SDL, is it any good? I''m thinking o using a SDL OpenGL combination instead DirectX OpenGL... (SDL for Input, sound 2D graphics, OpenGL for 3D graphics instead of DirectX for input and sound and OpenGL for 3D graphics) My question is: Is SDL a good choice for input/sound for games? I don''t want to use DirectX, I already know OpenGL and i think not limiting my games to windows would be cool (even though windows would still be my main tarfet platform.)
"Though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, iwill fear no evil, for i am the meanest motherfucker in the valley."
Advertisement
Come on, someone must know something about SDL!!
"Though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, iwill fear no evil, for i am the meanest motherfucker in the valley."
yes its good.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
That is in fact the same combination that I''m using for my project. Don''t forget to look at the libraries page on libsdl.org, there are several useful utilities on that page that make programming a lot of different games much easier. Here''s a short list of suggestions:

SDL_mixer
SDL_Console
SMPEG

Happy coding!

-Solstice

deninet.com
aeris.deninet.com

"...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."
-Solsticedeninet.comaeris.deninet.com"...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."
SDL is awesome. Much easier than DirectX to use IMHO.
--Baseball isn''t right. A man can NOT walk with four balls.
A bit late but anyways: Thanks everyone who answered!

I want to be able to make my games cross platform, though my main platform will be windows, besides SDL looks so much easier than DirectX and i already know OpenGL

Thanks again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement