• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

g_fire_1983

Get # and Put #

This topic is 5871 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay...I was just using the Get # and Put # functions for the first time in VB and am totally amazed by them. I''m intrigued entirely how they manage to change a record into a compressed load of crap...i.e. a two member type with some numbers in got turned into about 6 characters in a text file...wow....can anyone explain how it works?

Advertisement
I'm not programming in VB, but I suppose they are just writing out their binary representations, maybe with an additional type field that let VB convert them back without knowing the actual layout of the file.

Edit: In short, it would write them out as the computer sees them, as opposed to how they are shown to the user when printed out.

[Questions (STFW) | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search | Forum FAQ | Google | Asking Smart Questions ]
[Docs (RTFM) | MSDN | SGI's STL | OpenGL | File formats]
[C++ Must Haves (RTFS) | MinGW | Boost | Loki | FLTK | SDL ]

Stolen from Magmai Kai Holmlor, who held it from Oluseyi, who was inspired by Kylotan...

[edited by - Fruny on April 30, 2002 2:09:58 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!