Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

N00by

I'm new and need a few simple questions answered

N00by    122
I''m new to DirectX and well Win32 programming as well I suppose. I basically use RAD tools and Java so I''m not well exposed to the ''exacts'' of Win32. I have purchased a couple of books including the Windows Game Programming for Dummies. After going through this book I''m a litle lost with all the talk of MFC and straight Win32 programing. From reading some posts in the forum, most people tend to say Win32 is better for creating DirectX apps... okay, but where can I find a reference for Win32 to learn the API? Are the Visual C++ 6.0 reference books preaching Win32 or MFC??? And what is the diff between Win32 and MFC??? Strengths and weaknesses? Well I know that''s a hell of a question but I''d appreciate some guidance here. Thank you in advance.

CaptainJester    523
The Visual C++ 6 book I have teaches only MFC. It does not really show you how Win32 works. If you want a Win32 book, got to Amazon.com and do a serach for win32. This will give you an idea of what to look for. Here is one book from that serach: Programming Windows, The Definitive Guide to the Win32 API.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home

Jim Adams    440
MFC stands for Microsoft Foundation Classes, which are a set of C++ classes that encapsulate just about every windows function you''ll use. The MFC libraries sit on top of standard Win32 functions. If you don''t know much C++, use the straight Win32 SDK. If you are into C++, then give MFC a try.

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX

Abob    122
A Win32 book i like is
"Windows 98 Programming from the ground up"
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-9802190-6819965

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
The internet resource I found most useful: <a href="http://www.winprog.org">winprog.org</a>