What does strategy mean to you?

Started by
22 comments, last by Dauntless 21 years, 11 months ago
What does strategy mean to you?

Strategy means tank rushing!
Advertisement
AnonPoster-
There is a danger in any game of a player exploiting characteristics of a game design to mini-max things and find loopholes to find a better chance of winning. That floats some people''s boats, but it''s also what patches are for. Me personally, I don''t necessarily believe in the concept of balancing and fair-play anyway I''ve made a point of this issue in a previous thread about the concept of why people want to play...for the fun of it, or to win...

Mooglez-
Just because a general has to retreat doesn''t mean you should fire him. If that were so, Davis should have fired Robert E. Lee early in the war. As the old saying goes, "discretion is the better part of valor". Japan had a feudal system that had a very different concept of duty and obligation, but not all Japanese daimyo were like this. Shingen Takeda was a famous daimyo who outlawed duels as a waste of talent, and actually forced the victor to committ seppuku for his overriding concern of personal ego over duty to his people. As well, he did not view failure in a single instance as failure overall. Unfortunately, stereotypes are just that...and even in feudal Japan not all people followed a strict path that most games force you in. Just as an aside, the character for Bu (which loosely translated means war, as in Bushido "way of the warrior" or Bushi, "warrior") is composed of two radicals which literally mean, "to stop" and "spear". In other words, Budo''s true origin was to stop a fight, not start one...but most people view feudal Japan as a very warlike nation.

As for multiplayer vs. singleplayer, I think it''s always nice to have a good singleplayer experience...especially because that''s the only way to tell a good story.

Anonymous Poster-
What I meant by my comment on plan/counterplan as a limited viewpoint is essentially what you are also saying. Indeed, I''m saying "DON''T ask what do I do to win". In martial arts for example, you simply don''t think, "okay, he''s thrown a side thrust kick, therefore he''s left his groin and supporting leg vulnerable....therefore my best move is a leg sweep or counter side snap kick to the groin". Obviously this happens in the blink of an eye, and whether it is conscious or not, this is not how it goes. Battle is dynamic and flowing. Actually, if you fight like this, you''ll get beaten by an intuitive fighter....over and over again. It''s perhaps very counterintuitive to the Western mind, but really, we shouldn''t think too much. The famous sword saint Takuan (a teacher of Miyamoto Musashi) once said, "the mind should be nowhere in particular". There are many ways to skin a cat, and you just have to learn to "flow" from one move to the next so as to minimize your opponents chances while maximizing your own. This works on a grand scale too.

The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley
Dauntless:
Oh, I know, I wasn''t trying to apply the thinking long and hard stuff to the middle of a fight, I noticed what you''re talking about in just the couple of years I wrestled in high school.

I just meant that being killed or knocked unconcious or knocked down doesn''t necessarily mean that you lose, even in Andromeda, the characters usually talk about the plan while they''re enacting the solution.

Besides, when I said it was necessary to ask those kinds of questions, I never said how fast, for me, that''s what intuition does.

On topic:
Here''s a thought, for the planning stage, the number of aces up your sleeves at the start of the fight is an indicator of how good you are or you could think of strategy like in the game Castles that''s mentioned in The Dark Tower IV: The Wizard and the Glass by Stephen King.
Dark Tower series rock, great books

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement