Isometrics: Why Diamonds?

Started by
10 comments, last by turtle1776 21 years, 11 months ago
I see where you are coming from but here is a good example I''ve thought of. Imagine that your trying to draw a wall, to make the wall look 3D you would have to draw it at a diagonal. Using square or rectangular tiles would leave a large potion of the tile sticking out perpendicular to the wall. Fair enough I here you say but what happens when you put in a character, to make sure that you cannot walk through the wall you would have to make the tile impassable. This would mean that at every tile along the wall you would have an impassable, invisible section around the wall, the character would just get stuck on something that the player cannot see.
Advertisement
In order to make the wall 3d, why not use 3d graphics? You can have an isometric game be truly 3d. For a simple example, look at empire earth. To me the game was truly lacking in many areas (the AI blatantly cheated worse than any AI I''ve seen, and in the map maker it even had an option to disable AI cheating, but you couldnt load maps in multiplayer, so...), but the graphics were simple, it was basically isometric. The wall could be straight ''down'' (toward the screen) and you could tell it was 3d because of perspective. When the camera is far to the left of the wall, you could see the left side of the wall. When the camera is staring straight at the wall, you can''t see either side, only the ''front'' and top, and when on the right side, you see the right side depending on how far away the camera is. Much more convincing 3D than using 2d sprites/tiles/whatever =-)

"I believe; therefore, it is." -True Perception
"The Requested Information Is Unknown Or Classified" -Anonymous
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement