Copyright violations in the contest entries?

Started by
12 comments, last by Clancy 21 years, 11 months ago
I only got to view about 5 entries so far, but it seems to me that the music from the ones I have viewed is ripped off from the movie. I know NEHE can''t include this stuff on the CD, and it could get him into trouble. Same goes for the "official" logos. I know this don''t matter in some counties, but you know it does in Canada, USA, UK, and so on, but we don''t want to get NEHE into trouble! p.s BSK, you have one heck of a memory leak in your demo!
Advertisement
Haven''t you heard, memory leaks rule!

Anyone playing Heroes of Might and Magic 4? After about 20 minutes I get up to about 600 MB used then it bails!

i didn''t use anything from the movie except 5 photos (+1 goblin head photo from the teaser) stolen from www.lordoftherings.net. i did all the artwork myself (including the lotr logos) so there shouldn''t be probs about that.

"Shadow of annoyance Ne''''er come hither! ...And when He falleth, He falleth like Lucifer, Ne''''er to ascend again..."

TOT
"Shadow of annoyance Ne''er come hither! ...And when He falleth, He falleth like Lucifer, Ne''er to ascend again..."
TOT
umm, my demo is screwed up. See the LOTR thread, I checked my other version for memory leaks and it shouldn''t have any although I can''t promise about the version NeHe uploaded.

Sorry.

------------------------------
Baldur K
"Hey! I hate these Microsoft guys! What a rotten compiler! It only accepts 16,384 local variables in a function!"
I didn''t use anything at all from the movie. all the art I did from scratch it photoshop, the sounds I mixed myself, etc... the only thing I didn''t do was the intro snippet of music. but I got permission for that.

the pic beside my name is a tad dissapointing though :/ not the best scene, and in 16 bit....

(ohh, I''m graham aldridge btw )

http://www.riptorn.8m.com
I''ve used Howard Shore''s "The Prophecy" as the soundtrack. No one is making mony offa this thing, and is shouldnt bother anyone if NeHe puts a disclaimer thingy that sez no copyright infringement intended, and adds the name of the company that owns the copyrights........

Really, there would''nt be any fan sites online if we had to buy rights for using fonts, pictures, etc.

"A difference that makes no difference is no difference" - Spock
(^-^)
I saw 40 of them and about 15-20 of them have some ripped off material in them...
quote:Original post by hellspawn
I''ve used Howard Shore''s "The Prophecy" as the soundtrack. No one is making mony offa this thing, and is shouldnt bother anyone if NeHe puts a disclaimer thingy that sez no copyright infringement intended, and adds the name of the company that owns the copyrights........

It would still be infringement even if you''re not doing it to get money, and having a disclaimer doesn''t help either.
quote:
Really, there would''nt be any fan sites online if we had to buy rights for using fonts, pictures, etc.

Fan sites are forced to close all the time because they infringe on trademarks and copyrights. Tough, it all depends on the company that owns the trademarks/copyrights, they have every right to sue you if they want to (this may not apply in all countries, depending on copyright laws and such).

The point is that you must *always* get permission before using any copyrighted material.
i noticed alot of halflife/halflife mod skys!
as well as many other "borrowed" things
how about aliens vs predetor mod for doom which got canned (and ALL files took off legitamate sites)? thats when the term foxed came about since they were also closing simpson fan sites.

NEVER mess with a large comapny and its property. its painfully (since you either redo all your art/audio/story or can the project) and you will lose.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement