Forum Behavior

Started by
60 comments, last by grasshopa55 21 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by SilentCoder

So, i8degrees, you are saying that when you see a simple question, you are forced to take the time to answer it? Look at the topic titles, if the question looks like it would be a waste of your time, then ignore it. No one is making you reply to every post. Posting a simple question, no matter how easily the answer could''ve been found by searching, is not a waste of anyone''s time.

No, what I am saying is if we didn''t have so many simple questions in these forums that people take the time to answer to, more of the repliers could be concentrating on the more complex questions.

quote:Original post by SilentCoder
And asking questions to experienced people here could not be considered a form of research?

The only type of questions that I am talking about are the ones that are trivial. "Can you teach me C++?" - questions like those show that the poster made absolutely no attempt at finding the answer himself, because the resources on this site alone is enough to get him started, he simply didn''t even attempt to look for any of it. Those are the questions I''m talking about.

"I am governed by none other than the Laws of the Universe."
"I am governed by none other than the Laws of the Universe."
Advertisement
quote:Original post by i8degrees
No, what I am saying is if we didn''t have so many simple questions in these forums that people take the time to answer to, more of the repliers could be concentrating on the more complex questions.

The only type of questions that I am talking about are the ones that are trivial. "Can you teach me C++?" - questions like those show that the poster made absolutely no attempt at finding the answer himself, because the resources on this site alone is enough to get him started, he simply didn''t even attempt to look for any of it. Those are the questions I''m talking about.

Sure if there were fewer "simple" questions there would be more time for the "complex" questions and you and your 10 friends could spend all day posting to each other. With 31111 registered users you make up an insignificant part of this community as do we all individually. There are many more "newbs" than L33TS and they are the reason this site is as popular as it is. Now this site is a great source of knowledge for a lot of people in many areas. I don''t understand why it is so hard for some of you to just ignore some of the posts, like your example "Can you teach me C++". You have already identified it as an insignificant post not worthy of your time. Is it really that difficult to just pass it by? Most if not all people would rather get no response than a smartass response. The only thing that drives any of you "Oh they are wasting my time" people to answer posts you feel are not worthy of your time is called your EGO. No one is forcing you to read it or reply to it but you. So the next time you flame some unsuspecting newb for asking a question "the wrong way" remember, you had to start somewhere and so do they. Teaching does not require belittling someone so help them or don''t help them but don''t be a dick about it. Now I have to code faster to catch up...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement