• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grasshopa55

Forum Behavior

This topic is 6246 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I myself am actually pretty hard on those who are hard on people posting newb style questions.

I usually rip on people who scream to use a search engine first. Or scream to read the manual first. Or scream that the guy asking the question has a bad attitude.

Hello. This is a place to discuss things, ask questions, or toss out a casual question. Who cares if they searched the web first? Maybe they did. Maybe they didn''t.

I imagine I''m in a big room with a bunch of people hanging out who like programming. Beside me in the room is a computer linked to the Web. What if I throw out a question to a couple of programmer dudes sitting next to me? If they came screaming back to me that I should search the Web, I''d look at them strangely and then ask them: "What the fuck is your problem? Is their something wrong with conversation?"

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by RajanSky When you said we should weed out the weak people, that sounds frighteningly close to what the Nazis said. They wanted to create a perfect aryan race and all, you guys want to create a perfect game development community. Now maybe it''s a little drastic to make that comparison, and I realize that and I urge you not to take it literally.

I believe the jargon file has something to say about that.

But back to the main topic.

The reason so many responses are simply links to google, the beginner''s section, or the articles section, and the reason the forums are becomingly increasingly hostile, is that so many people post so many stupid questions that those links answer easily. Those posts clutter up the forums and distract from the posts by people who need the kind of help that a simple web search won''t solve. That creates an atmosphere of anger and resentment towards the many lazy people who want others solving their problems for them, and who waste everyone else''s time as a result. That atmosphere makes people go overboard at times, flaming honest posts that don''t deserve it and attacking people pointlessly.

You dislike the fact that this place is becoming elitist and immature? I dislike that these forums are being drowned under a mountain of crap posts. I am sick of a daily/weekly post asking if C++ is better than C, if Java is good for game programming, if D3D is better than OpenGL. Fuck those posts and the people that make them. Don''t attack the symptoms, attack the cause.

It goes way beyond that though. Sure, maybe those posts are redundant to the nth degree, but I would venture to say that 40% of the genuine posts get some individuals claiming that their time is being wasted, and Google has the answers.

And if it isn't that, it's someone picking apart the way the question was posed, claiming that they sounded a little too demanding, or they didn't preface their question with a paragraph promising that they already tried a search on Google.

And then there's the absolutely ridiculous posts by people who make narrow minded assumptions about the audience here. I point you to this thread where I had a little fun with their elitest attitude.

EDIT: You've got to kind of read the whole thread (the thread I posted a link to above) through to see how it plays.

[edited by - bishop_pass on May 9, 2002 4:10:44 AM]

I don''t think it takes all that much effort to see some good in the questions people ask. It does seem that there are those that don''t try very hard to offer some genuine encouragement.

Even dry, no-nonsense answers can be a form of bashing to a question that demands more of an answer to be useful, even though some newcomers to the forums might not realize that.

There could definitely be more of an air of positivity.

This is a forum for learning. It just goes to show some people are good at teaching, some are good at sharing their knowledge, and some are just good at showing their knowledge. Just the same, some people are good at receiving knowledge, and some are good at filtering out all the crap and making use of what is provided to them.

I feel sorry for those that came here seeking knowledge only to get knocked away and discouraged because the wrong people were signed on at that time. It''s really unfortunate.

This is a cynical attitude, but sometimes I think it was better when the internet wasn''t around and people actually THOUGHT other people were nice. There are times looking on these forums when I wonder where we are going as people. Behaviors aren''t kept in check when the other person can''t punch you through the monitor, so intellectual bashing can be rampant, and seem more qualified than it actually is. Thankfully, there is more to life than programming, but to those that want to immerse themselves in it for a time, tread lightly and confidently while visiting these forums.

Make concessions in the For Beginners forum, even if nowhere else. Post a link if you have or can find one. Only post STFW or RTFM if typing in the terms yield an immediate result (web) or it is on the contents page/index (manual). And please, enough pissing contests. Anal discussion is boring and irritating; learn to suck it up and keep surfing.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

Ahh, Oluseyi, one of my favorite members around here, but somewhat at odds with my philosophy.

Seriously, Oluseyi, you command a great deal of my respect. You''re incredibly intelligent and diverse and well rounded. Simultaneously, you manage to be one of those who I feel is a little bit heavy handed in the STFW and RTFM department while at the same time manage to come off as one of those whom I wouldn''t mind shooting the breeze over a lunch and beer.

quote:
You answered the other guys stupid question on where to get the Quake source, but not mine on how to get it to compile?

"Stupid question"? How exactly do you define a "right attitude", bishop?

quote:
Original post by bishop_pass
Then there was this thread, where one guy apparently decided the original poster didn''t have the right attitude in the way he asked the question.

It''s not how he asked the question, but one comment that he made when no one responded to his question.

quote:
Original post by pimstead
You answered the other guys stupid question on where to get the Quake source, but not mine on how to get it to compile?

I think the fault lies on him - he was being inconsiderate.

"I am governed by none other than the Laws of the Universe."

I''m not the one defining right attitudes. Someone else was defining wrong attitudes based on reading a little too much into the choice of wording in the original poster''s question.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!