• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grasshopa55

Forum Behavior

This topic is 6256 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

quote:
Original post by i8degrees
I think the fault lies on him - he was being inconsiderate.

Spare me your sensitivities. He wasn''t being inconsiderate. He was being exasperated by a lack of response.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by bishop_pass
Ahh, Oluseyi, one of my favorite members around here, but somewhat at odds with my philosophy.

Just the "niggling" bit. I''ve found many of the visitors to this site to be very immature; unfamiliar with concepts like separating personality and principle, for example (attack what I say, not who I am). Rather than engaging in long, drawn-out verbal sparring matches, I either say something like "my bad" or just ignore it entirely. I''ve also found myself stepping in between some other posters (a lot seem to involve SabreMan recently!)

quote:

Seriously, Oluseyi, you command a great deal of my respect. You''re incredibly intelligent and diverse and well rounded.

The comment is much appreciated, and the feelings are mutual. Your knowledge of the rocks and geography, and your interest in things besides games and computers is quite refreshing (there''s nothing more irritating than hanging around geeks who think and talk of nothing but code; please get a life!) Travel, culture, food, sport...

quote:

...you manage to be one of those who I feel is a little bit heavy handed in the STFW and RTFM department...

That''s for trivial questions like "What is GCC?" "Where can I get MSVC.Net?" (They have websites. If you don''t know them, try doing a simple search. Google is you friend.)

However I''ve had to tone down my use of said acronyms because every time I did, some lame, pathetic LOSERs would come out of the woodwork and bitch and moan about how I should be setting an example as a moderator. Sometimes all I had to do was air my opinion on how something was lame and they''d come at me. It gets old, so now I just skip a lot of posts (you may have noticed that I post less now than I used to).

quote:

while at the same time manage to come off as one of those whom I wouldn''t mind shooting the breeze over a lunch and beer.

I''ve always tried to maintain that civility, that levelheadedness and approachability. Sometimes I lose my composure and sometimes people don''t understand what I''m getting at (recent example: some idiot was posting "PROTEST NOW!" threads - in capitals, no less - all over the site, in response to the Judge''s ruling that games were not art. I closed them and justified it saying it was not in the appropriate forum, and that there were already two threads on the subject in the Lounge. The fool sends me email titled "Fuck you, Oluseyi" filled with rhetoric about "them" taking away my games, and not being able to develop games because it''s been made illegal. *sigh*)

In many ways, I echo a lot of your sentiments. I''m not interested in game development as a career (perhaps to make a quick buck if possible, but nothing more). Hell, I''m not interested in much of a career! I enjoy social situations and politics, and want to engage in national development once I''ve raised a little capital to fund my NGO. GameDev has become a social experiment to me, and it''s losing its appeal (thanks to the boneheads).

Ugh, I''m rambling. Anyway, the point is that it''s really simple to clean this up:

1. If you have nothing to add to the discussion (criticisms of style or form do not count as additions), STFU.

2. Leave comments on impropriety to moderators/staff. You can help us out by emailing us if there''s a bothersome thread/poster.

3. Personally, I will be moving any trivial question I see to the For Beginners forum, and co-moderating it until an actual moderator is chosen (this is voluntary, so I wont be taking any bullshit from anybody). I will also be relocating any posts for team members to Help Wanted, and announcements of projects/websites/whatever to Your Announcements. Don''t email me asking where your thread has gone.

Once a thread is in the For Beginners forum, stay out unless you are going to answer the question. "Ask Google" does not constitute an answer. The briefest form of answer is a link to
    1. an external website/page that answers the question; or

2. a GDNet thread on the exact same topic.

Those are rules for the For Beginners forum only. I will also be very intolerant of AP posting, because people seem to post anonymously in the For Beginners forum to gain XP at being assholes. Fuck around, get your post deleted.

Any quesions? Help us make this site better for you. Now good night; I''ve got a final in under eight hours!

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

Heh, I have to admit I can be a bit short on the grain with silly questions. I try to point them towards a tutorial/site/google search, but I kinda lose my patience when a guy is flaming us when we''re only trying to help.

The thread mentioned above annoyed me a fair bit, although I''ve tried to keep my cool (wtf I have cool?). It''s almost as if he thinks we owe him a detailed response, when his answer is probably in the readme file.

Oh well.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions

quote:
Original post by bishop_pass
I'm not the one defining right attitudes. Someone else was defining wrong attitudes based on reading a little too much into the choice of wording in the original poster's question.

...but now you're stating that fup was in the wrong by defining a wrong attitude?
quote:
What do you care? Are you the attitude police?

Sounds like you're volunteering there, bishop.

Come on - fup stated his opinion, you stated your opinion...both of your positions are equally defensible and indefensible. I suggest you leave it at that...unless you want this to turn into another pissing contest.

[edited by - AdmiralBinary on May 9, 2002 5:01:32 AM]

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
there''s nothing more irritating than hanging around geeks who think and talk of nothing but code; please get a life!) Travel, culture, food, sport...

Agreed... absolutely.
quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Hell, I''m not interested in much of a career!

Sometimes I have very similar thoughts.

AdmiralBinary,
I almost always take the devil's advocate side on these issues because I see the self righteous attitudes of those who have decided what one should know, how they should ask for help, and assume the motives of those here.

I fully expect few to agree with me when I adopt this position, and enjoy it, because I feel my case is strong despite the lack of moral support from the elite majority.

It is easy to be a parrot and mock those who are frustrated or just learning by imitating the attitudes of the elite. Why, just to gain favor and be a part of the in crowd here, it would appear that you should jump right into a thread and declare the newbie poster as not complying with the proper methods of behavior.

There are plenty here to set an example as you might desire. It appears Fup is one of them. For every ten remarks like Fup's, there is one of mine coming out of left field which might change the direction a post is taking.

Look closely at the direction that post took. It may very well be my remark that quelled any further mass herd behavior of elite wannabees declaring the original poster to not be properly weened of his alleged attitude.

As it turned out, it was a constructive thread for the original poster. It may very well be the case because of my remark.

[edited by - bishop_pass on May 9, 2002 5:16:46 AM]

quote:
Original post by siaspete
The thread mentioned above annoyed me a fair bit, although I''ve tried to keep my cool (wtf I have cool?). It''s almost as if he thinks we owe him a detailed response, when his answer is probably in the readme file.

And why in God''s name did it annoy you? I found his second post a little entertaining. Where did you lose skin off of your back because of what he said?

You people give me good reason to poke fun at you. Geez.

One of my favorites was something that I personally experienced. I don't even remeber the topic, but I asked a question and the very next post was basicly along the lines of:

"This question has been asked a bunch already - search the forums and go away."

Well, I had already searched the forums and the question had indeed been asked. And it had also never been answered. The point being that there were 3 other threads that had gotten no useful responses and I got bitched at simply because they existed. Several people actually came to my aid with wonderful posts though. So now there is at least 1 thread on the topic that got usefull answers.

Oh well,
Landsknecht

P.S. Anybody have any issues with my posting? Seriously - I am curious.

[edited by - landsknecht on May 9, 2002 5:24:20 AM]

Landsknecht, you probably just caught someone in a bad mood. I wouldn''t let it bother you, as I thought your post was fine.

bishop_pass, stop trying to start arguments.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions

Please note, bishop, that I didn''t actually take fup''s side in the argument - I was merely exposing the holes in your own reasoning. However, now that I understand your reasons, I shall no longer entertain myself in this vile and evil manner

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!