MUD Programming

Started by
6 comments, last by tenchimusakiryoko 21 years, 11 months ago
hey, I was wondering if there are any tutorials on programming a mud(the text based online games) from scratch,in c or c++. I really would like to make one, but i need to learn how to set up the mud on a server, so users can connect through telnet, or another client. Thanks
"Good,evil,I got the gun"Ash- Evil Dead
Advertisement
Not a MUD tutorial, but an intro to sockets, without going into abstract theory :

The Pocket Guide to TCP/IP Sockets (C Version), by M.J. Donahoo and K.L. Calvert, ed Morgan Kaufmann, ISBN 1-55860-686-6, $14.95 / £8.95

[Questions (STFW) | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search | Forum FAQ | Google | Asking Smart Questions ]
[Docs (RTFM) | MSDN | SGI''s STL | OpenGL | File formats]
[C++ Must Haves (RTFS) | MinGW | Boost | Loki | FLTK | SDL ]

Stolen from Magmai Kai Holmlor, who held it from Oluseyi, who was inspired by Kylotan...
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
thanks a lot, i guess ill have to learn winsock in order to make a custom mud. So far the current mud engines ive seen are all in c, and they are sooooo sloppy its almost impossible to followthanks for the reply.
quote:Original post by tenchimusakiryoko
So far the current mud engines ive seen are all in c, and they are sooooo sloppy its almost impossible to follow

I know, I''ve been implementor on a MUD (Rom2.4-based) for 5 years.

[Questions (STFW) | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search | Forum FAQ | Google | Asking Smart Questions ]
[Docs (RTFM) | MSDN | SGI''s STL | OpenGL | File formats]
[C++ Must Haves (RTFS) | MinGW | Boost | Loki | FLTK | SDL ]

Stolen from Magmai Kai Holmlor, who held it from Oluseyi, who was inspired by Kylotan...
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Do a search for "awemud" on sourceforge.net, then download the source. In my opinion it''s quite structured and easy to follow cpp code. Might give you some hints.

Wannabe
warning C4786: identifier was truncated to ''255'' characters in the debug information
I know what you mean about the source from other games... I''d tried studying the code for a mud (ROM v?.??) and it went right over my head. But with such things as C++ and STL it should be a snap to make many of the tougher things in a MUD like the command interpreter and Mob manager. I''ve heard that the networking side of a MUD is pretty easy when using winsock, or heck even directplay if you''d like people to be able to use your MUD over other connection types like modem and LAN (Can''t you do that anyway with Winsock?).

I was going to write my own MUD but got an idea for something else, so I''m going to offer you some advice I learned from somebody I don''t remember from some MUD mailing list I still seem to be subscribed to (Just noticed all their messages in my Hotmail Junkmail folder); "Write the Network Code First!". I''m not sure what he meant by that but it must be useful

Good luck with your MUD.

------------------------------------------------------------

Stupid divide by zero error. I should be allowed to tear a hole in the fabric of time and space if I want!
Lo All,

Didn''t think it was worth making another post for (sorry for hijacking this one).

Does anyone know of any tutorials on Just simple text based adventures (no network code), I wouldn''t mind programming one.

Most of it wouldn''t be a problem but parsing and using the text inputted by the user, would be hard I think e.g. "Hit man with trout"

Thanks in advance....

CoiN

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Thats exactly the reason i wrote this actually is because i knew i had to learn and write the network part first because everything is based around that. Its good to know that im not the only one who has problems following other peoples code, and im looking at abermud abd it look spretty good. Thanks everyone for all your posts and wish me luck

Heres 1 more idea id like to throw around, dont you think its a good idea that when an mmorpg game goes out of business that they should sell their server software so others may play on a lan?(Like the ever quest server emulators)I think this would also be nice for a mud. But anyways thanks everyone

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement