Error, tile is too ugly to be blitted on the screen.

Started by
7 comments, last by origil 21 years, 11 months ago
Imagine... a computer program, which could get inside one''s brain and create the image he or she desires on the screen... Now wake up and please help me . I''ve been searching for a good tile creation tutorial for a long time now without much success. All I could find so far were a few tutorials, which were making the assumption I had the intention and money in order to purchase good 2D art programs such as PSP and Photohop... My art skills are extremely poor so the best solution for me would be to create an algorithm that''d create a somewhat nice tile. Either that, or a tutorial explaining how to take a grass image for example and make it seamless - Without using expensive programs. I don''t intend to spend a lot of money on a program if all I''ll be using is 1 feature called offset or whatever that was. If you could address me to such a tutorial or just set me in the right direction I''d really appreciate it.
The Department of Next Life - Get your Next-Life Insurance here!
Advertisement
Actually at MIT monkeys are controlling a curser with brainwaves... only one more step until people can create images with the mind. There goes all our jobs... hah hah hah
- T. Wade Murphy
Um... Use the Gimp. It''s free and can do almost anything the other programs can. And besides, PSP is atually pretty cheap. What is it, $100 bucks... Your compiler cost at least that much.

Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
theres also mspaint... i mean if youre going to do a grass sprite, it would look best to leave it up to the human eye to decide whether a tile looks decent (not some algorithm for plastering pixels in random placement. as far as tiling goes, the best tiles ive ever seen depend on the artists skill to manually make one side of an image tile with the opposite side of that same tile.
if you want to make some grass, all you need is a paint program that can make 3 different shades of color... and a little intuition.
Thanks, I guess I''ll try to mess a bit with the tiles manually, though they''ll be very poor considering the resolution is 32 bits in color...
As for the ONLY 100 bucks for PSP, it won''t be worth the money when combined with my art skills...
The Department of Next Life - Get your Next-Life Insurance here!
See, now you go and throw in the art skill issue. If art skill was the deciding factor, MS Paint cost to much for me, and it was FREE! I still manage to get banding every time I use a clone brush for goodnes sakes... I am a decent programmer. My art skills make my 5yr old daughter look like Picaso!

Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
When I need to make images that blend properly when tiled I do this:

1. Create the image I want to tile.
2. Split the image in half vertically.
3. Move the sides so the originally left and right side are now in the middle.
4. Blend out the line with a smudge tool.
5. Split the image in half vertically and return it to it''s originally form.
6. Do it again but horizontally this time.

I see no lines.
The absolute best image editor for tiles and sprites is Wally. Just do a google search for Wally image editor or something. It is free it has nice features like being able to instantly see your tiles, um tiled, easy palette mangement, fast zooms (if you have a mouse wheel). It blows the Gimp and Paint out of the water.
I must have no intuition then, Stoven, because my grass sure looks like crap. Can I use yours?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement