Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tac-Tics

Why no work?

I started learning OpenGL a while ago (along with Windows programming) and I''ve run into a problem. I have a basic "spinning cube" program. It works on my old computer (win95) and my computer at school (win98), but not my new computer at home (win me). I don''t know what''s wrong. It just gives me a windowed black screen, devoid of any spinning colored shapes. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? If you need any more info, tell me. Any help is thnx

opengl got too much X-box publicity: work less, play more as far as i haerd, win me is more insensitive of datatypes... when 95 lets pass an error, win me wont, its too late, my english gets bad conclusion: theres a mistake, its not that important but for win me it is! solution: throw win me out of the window!

>>
>> solution: throw win me out of the window
>>

I understand my problem perfectly now!

I really hate WinME. I don''t have experience on many other OS''s, but I really really hate WinME. I''ve become good friends with the infamous "Blue Screen" and "System is Busy" error. MS should be ashamed of themselves for making it so easy to crash. Even the damn Windows "Help" (if you can call it that) will instantly cause my computer to freeze up.

I''m seriously thinking about getting XP for my comp. Thnx for letting me know this is just an OS issue.

Strange, I use WinME on my main system and I get very very very few Blue Screens, lockups, etc. My system seems to be one of the only computers winME is even REMOTELY stable on, I wonder what I did right?

quote:
Original post by Tac-Tics
I started learning OpenGL a while ago (along with Windows programming) and I've run into a problem. I have a basic "spinning cube" program. It works on my old computer (win95) and my computer at school (win98), but not my new computer at home (win me). I don't know what's wrong. It just gives me a windowed black screen, devoid of any spinning colored shapes. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? If you need any more info, tell me. Any help is thnx

quote:

Thnx for letting me know this is just an OS issue.

It is _not_ an OS issue. Your graphics card is a lot more relevant to this than the particular flavour of win 9x you're running. What is it?

Also, can you run other OpenGL apps on your machine (such as Quake 2 and Quake 3)?

[edited by - benjamin bunny on May 1, 2002 8:24:48 PM]

someone who dont tack care of their pc will have a terrible time with any os.

if other opengl works then you should fix your code. if your new drivers are more sensitive to bad parms, then its safe to say no matter which os you choose you will have problems.

winME is perfectly stable on my pc as well. i think its the crazy nuts installing tons of p2p apps, spyware, trojans, not updating drivers, etc.

a solution like get rid of winME is so poor that it shows that you have little expierence with debugging, programming, and computers in general. my suggestion, stay away from linux. it can become the most unstable piece of junk known to man when in the hands of someone who dont take care of their pc. then again, nearly ANY OS that is half decent and allows some control would become utter crap when misused.

so dont blame the OS for your bad code. have you even tried debugging it? check for error codes? made sure that opengl was even working with the card correctly?