Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hannibal

What's the difference between Borland and Microsoft?

Null and Void    1088
The first is a package of IDE''s and compilers and other such things made by Microsoft, the second is a C++ IDE and compiler (et cetera) made by Microsoft, and the third is a C++ IDE and compiler (et cetera) that''s geared towards RAD GUI development not made by Microsoft (go figure ).

Hannibal    122
And which is better for game development?
I heard, that MS Visual C++ 6.0 is better to make games. It has more usefull tools. Is it right?
But, I want to make programs and games. What''s better for that? (The price is not importantly).

Miserable    606
I''m no expert on the subject, but I''d imagine that Microsoft Visual C++ would be easier to work with for a game developer simply because DirectX (which you''ll likely work with if you make games for Win32) was written by Microsoft, so quite naturally, they work well together. (As I recall, the standard DirectX .lib''s don''t work with BC++, although there are compatible libraries.) As for Visual Studio, it''s a suite of programs; VC++ is part of it (sort of like how MS Word is part of the Office package).

Of course, you might decide to go cross-platform and be compatible and work with other API''s, in which case I know even less ...

hpox    122
I don''t know about Borland VS Visual C++ for game developpement. Visual C++ is more used.

Visual Studio is a suite of developpement tools. It contains Visual C++, Visual Basic, InterDev and other tools.

Zenroth    127
Well if your gonna work with microsoft api''s like directx then id suggest VC++, otherwise youll have loads of fun with trying to compile directx code made for vc++.