Math "!" Function

Started by
14 comments, last by Zomart 21 years, 11 months ago
The windows calculator is able to calculate and display 5000!, so I wonder what data type it uses if doubles cant even store 127!
Even my TI-92+ can only calculate up to 449!, it treats 450! as infinity.

"I believe; therefore, it is." -True Perception
"The Requested Information Is Unknown Or Classified" -Anonymous

[edited by - Extrarius on May 1, 2002 2:56:10 PM]
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Advertisement
davepermen: Indeed, sorry for being false So I change my statement: there is a quite easy way to store even large factorials.

Extrarius: but they round up the results:
5000! = 4.2285779266055435222010642002336e+16325 in windows calculator. That is not a correct result davepermen: double can store precisely 127! ? That is an another interesting question as a factorial should be exact

-- tSG --
-- tSG --
well it calculates it as precious as it can..

(and if you use the tailor-series from above, you don''t really care if 127! is now perfectly exact or simply more or less cause dividing by 127! will be small if its now exactly _THE_ value or not

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Ok, definitely true

-- tSG --
-- tSG --
About the highschool teachers neglecting things. That is true, it is the program''s fault and not the teacher''s. I just used that as a general term to say "There is so much more than what the show you". Like when they spit out all these formalus and never explain how or why they work. That bothers me. I always read the book on my own to get an understanding of it, but still, they can do better. I understand that the formulas are going to work every time, but how are you ever going to see to use a formula in a real world problem if you don''t know how it works. I just don''t like following steps they give you. For many problems there are many ways of solving it. I usually like to create my own. The way highschool is taught just bugs me...
quote:Original post by Zomart
I just don''t like following steps they give you. For many problems there are many ways of solving it. I usually like to create my own. The way highschool is taught just bugs me...

Well, I agree with you. Sadly, you are probably in the minority. I think most high school students want to be handed the answer. Plus, there aren''t really enough teachers to properly deal with the diversity of students...

But, this discussion is more appropriate for the gamedev lounge forum. So I''m closing the thread since the discussion has moved away from math, and because it never was focused on games, .

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement