Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dwiel

MFC basics

Dwiel    365
Does anyone here know of a good MFC starter tutorial? I cant seem to find anything.. yes I searched google and GameDev.... Thanx for the help BTW.. is MFC the way to go if I want to create a fairly simple Windows APP?

jeeky    126
Absolutely do not use MFC for a very simple Windows App. Just write a standard Winmain type program. MFC has much more baggage than you need for something simple.

If you want a good Win32 programming book, get Programming Windows by Prosise.

Oluseyi    2103
quote:
Original post by Tazzel3D
Does anyone here know of a good MFC starter tutorial? I cant seem to find anything...

With good reason. MSDN contains extensive MFC-oriented documentation, and there are books. It''s not targeted at hobbyists so there isn''t much of an audience for independent "tutorials".

That said, there is a huge repository of material at the Code Project. Check it out.

quote:

BTW.. is MFC the way to go if I want to create a fairly simple Windows APP?

No.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

Dwiel    365
Thanx for the info... And extreamly quick response!!!! Really new to Windows programming.. have been doing DX, but never Windows.. just used VB.. but now I need C code and VB easyness and Im not really finding it... of course im not wtf am I talking about?!?!

nuff rambling

Tazzel3d ~ Dwiel

JonStelly    127
"BTW.. is MFC the way to go if I want to create a fairly simple Windows APP? "

I can't believe:

"NO"

and

"Absolutely do not use MFC for a very simple Windows App"

were the two responses to this question.

MFC is a framework designed to facilitate RAD (to some degree) in C++ and to hide some of the ugly areas of the Win32 API. While I'd agree that learning MFC for a single project to make one simple application might be overkill, depending on how simple we're talking, it might still be easier than learning Win32 API code to do the same. With the amount of framework code that VS 6 and VS.NET spit out for you when creating your project, it could be as simple as adding a few lines of code to a few different functions and voila, it works.

I'd be willing to bet that almost any app you can think up that would be considered 'simple' would be easier to write in MFC than native Win32 API. Assuming the poster isn't familiar with either, both of them have pretty close to the same learning curve.

EDIT: If we're talking about DirectX stuff, I'd suggest going with the DX Framework, but I didn't hear game or directx mentioned in the original post.

[edited by - JonStelly on April 30, 2002 12:12:31 AM]

Stoffel    250
The Scribble tutorial that comes with MFC is excellent. I started there, and I suggest anyone interested in MFC does the same.