Protecting your ideas?

Started by
11 comments, last by Darkan_Fireblade 21 years, 11 months ago
Hi guys i got a question can you patent your game systems and ideas? i would not like someone taking my game systems from my "Hit" game and using it in there up comming game! Thanks Please Reply Sir Darkan Fireblade
Sir Darkan Fireblade
Advertisement
You can''t patent ideas. Why? Because they''re worthless without implementations. You can, however, patent algorithms and solutions to specific problems.

[blunt]
Nobody gives a rat''s ass about your game idea. The web is littered with ideas - many of them astounding. They haven''t been stolen and wont be, largely because the effort is in bringing the idea to fruition.
[/blunt]

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
[blunt]

Your idea is *probably(98.9%)* not amazing nor original neither is it ground-breaking.

[/blunt]

Haha I love it. Sorry :neutral:
in fact i bet your idea is based on or influenced by other ppl''s ideas. so in reality you are trying to protect yourself from your source of inspiration?
Wow, harsh guys!

But well said. "Ideas" are a dime a dozen.
He didn''t ask for your opinion on whether his idea was good or not. He asked for some legal advice.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
if you could patent an idea, do you think
there would be a million quake clones
floating around? no.
id would''ve patented their idea for a
totaly 3d fps engine and monopolized
the entire market

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
quote:He didn't ask for your opinion on whether his idea was good or not. He asked for some legal advice.

About 20 posts down:

Which company to submit my idea

which links to:

GameDev.net Webmaster FAQ

which gives the answer to:

"Q: How much can I get for this great game idea I've got? Who do I sell it to?"

Was this the kind of answer he was looking for?

[edited by - Silvermyst on May 2, 2002 9:38:07 AM]
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Actually, I think ''look & feel'' concerns have been found to fall under US patent law, so you probably could patent aspects of your gameplay.

Patents are expensive, though. I''ve heard it costs about $30,000 minimum to get through the application process and end up with something enforcable. And since under the patent law, you have to write the patent _before_ you publish the product, it''s difficult to decide what''s worth a patent.

Since no game companies are currently doing this, I think we can safely say it''s been investiaged and deemed to not make much economic sense.
Its not worth it. Patents take too long, and cost too much money trust me. Release your game and pray that it takes off. Good look.

Reality Makes Me XiC
I don''t do talk, I code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience beauty.
http://www.x-i-c.com/
I am XiCI don't do talk, I code: passion is my feul. Use my programs, experience XiC. http://www.x-i-c.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement