2D-Game Sprites and Backgrounds Book

Started by
2 comments, last by Sage13 21 years, 11 months ago
I swear someone needs to write a decent book on 2D-Game Graphics , Sprites, etc. And I emphasize on DECENT. Ususally all the 2D sprite info I run into is in another book that I would never expect it to be in. Capcom or somebody should just compile this crap and sell it a broad so that the 2D gaming community and evolve past "So you want to be a Pixil Artist"''s web page. (not saying anythings wrong with this, but considering all the technical information and stuff that''s out there, it''s spread too thin. Look at Game Devs books for game sprites and Tiles and you''ll see what I mean. Does anyone know of a book out there that focus'' on this aspect of gaming that is WORTH buying? If not, just remind me to write it later heh.(not Joking) peace -Sage13
Advertisement
As far as books go, I'm afraid you're pretty much screwed. Of course, books have their problems. Some of the disadvantages are that they're not always in color (which is crucial for sprites), they can't show real animations, and ink doesn't always translate into pixels well. I'd Rather have it be sold as an HTML or PDF document rather than a book.

But that would be awesome if Capcom released a book. The Blizzard guys had some incredible sprite artists, especially during the SNES era, take a look at Lost Vikings to see what I mean. Maybe some one should bug them to spit out (or sell out) their secrets.

[edited by - blue_munkee on April 30, 2002 12:22:33 AM]
I''m not ashamed to throw a little poo now and then.
Try Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. Despite all of the bad press its been getting around this boards, that is the best book that will cover what you want, a lots more. The book itself may not give you directly what you want. But it will give you the best foundation.

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
"Ogun's Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
If you are talking about drawing sprites - like making them. That''s an art issue - I forgot what section of this forum I was in since I got here through the main page. In which case, you can forget about my suggestion.

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
"Ogun's Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement