Complete coverage of MS3D Format

Started by
3 comments, last by DanG 21 years, 11 months ago
Does anyone know where i can find COMPLETE coverage of the Milkshape MS3D file format? So far i have only found bits and pieces in tutorials. THis guy wrote this and says like "we''ll ignore this" or "forget what blahblah variable is" . What i want is just a straightforward breakdown of the file format, what every variable is for. Not even the Milkshape SDK includes everything. Google has failed me, you guys are my only hope!
Ambassador: Mr. Bush are you stoned or just really, REALLY dumb?Pres. Bush - I assure you I am not stoned.
Advertisement
Did you try emailng the author or posting in his forums about this?
Did you try downloading the Milkshape SDK?

Moe''s site
While not a straightforward document, the ms3dspec.txt.c file that is included with the SDK details the structures and order in which all data is contained within .MS3D files. It is very simple, consisting of (in exact order):
header
# vertices
vertex data
# triangles
triangle data
# groups
group data
# materials
material data
Animation FPS
Current editor time
Total frames
# joints
joint data

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX
Thank you for the input. I checked out that ms3d.txt.c and it is what i was looking for, but not in much (or any) detail. However it cleared up a lot. SOme questions remain though (these don''t partain to animation, i''m not dealing with that now)

The verts triangles and groups seem to have a variable called flags that can take values like SELECTED, SELECTED2, HIDDEN What do these meen?

Also, if you don''t specify something like an alpha map, does it still exist in the file? As in, do you still need to read filler values for it?

All comments appreciated.

He who said money was the root of all evil knew little of the nature of money and less about the nature of man.
Ambassador: Mr. Bush are you stoned or just really, REALLY dumb?Pres. Bush - I assure you I am not stoned.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement